Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP unofficial updates and/or XP becoming no longer supported

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

right now Microsoft is only doing security updates and THAT'S IT and in 2014 Microsoft is discontinuing Windows XP as a supported operating system... my question is, is there any unofficial updates out there for Windows XP I can get??? or does that not start until Microsoft declares it unsupported???

I have XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

What would "unofficial updates" be?

Why would you want to even think about installing such?

Since Windows is Microsoft's property...I doubt seriously if anyone would take on the challenges of developing and documenting "unofficial updates" for an O/S whose time has come and gone.

Louis

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hello -

XP will become like Windows 95 and 98 where they still operate as they currently do, but there will not be the usual monthly updates and patches given out by Microsoft.

There may be (as I would expect) clubs / forums that offer specific help related only to XP, since it still has many millions of users, but there will be nothing from Microsoft itself once the decision is made. They (we) will still continue with using our systems as they are, but you will just no longer have the support that was offered.

I have 3 former XP based units in my shed that are now going to the garbage, as I stripped any good parts, and they are now Old Worn Out Wrecks - -

Thank You -

P.S. There is / was an expected life span of these systems and most have passed that date -

Did you know a Mouse was originally designed to only last 2 years ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users