Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

does adwcleaner automatically quarantine

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 spark2

spark2

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi all,

Just downloaded adwcleaner vs. 3.0.0.1 and would like to know if all deleted entries automatically go into quarantine before deletion.  I am mainly concerned about leftover registry entries not being saved.

Is there supposed to be an "options" list?  I don't see that available anywhere on the screen.

I'm using XP SP3.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

AdwCleaner is a free portable adware cleaner by Xplode that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, PUPs, and Homepage Hijackers. It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...a search should always be performed first so the detections can be reviewed. AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab.

AdwCleaner comes with Tools: Quarantine Manager & HOSTS Anti-PUP/Adware.

When AdwCleaner is first run to clean adware, it will create a new folder located at C:\AdwCleaner. The AdwCleaner folder contains sub-folders for Backup and Quarantine. Each of these folders contain sub-folders of the exact location (full path) an entry was removed from. In the event you want to restore an item, simply run AdwCleaner again.
  • Click Quarantine manager.
  • A log file of what was removed will open in a new window.
  • Scroll through the list and find the entry you want to restore.
  • Place a check mark in the box next to the entry(s).
  • Click the Restore button.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 spark2

spark2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Great information!  Just what I needed to know.

thanks

#4 spark2

spark2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Well, I just decided to try adwcleaner and see how it worked.  First I downloaded the newer vs. 3.0.0.2.  It found several registry entries plus under "product" it showed "google update helper".  I unchecked all the registry entries and only left the google one checked.  I hit clean, it seemed to go okay, then my pc restarted.

I then ran adwcleaner again, but quarantine was empty.  No logfile came up so no list of what was removed.

I then checked the Adwcleaner folder and there was only a quarantine subfolder, but no back up folder.  I'm not too concerned since only a google helper was removed and I don't need it.

Did I miss something, or possibly the entire adwcleaner program didn't install correctly?

thanks again

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

AdwCleaner is a standalone tool which does not require installation.

You just double-click on it to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.

It then does its scan and clean and removes what it finds....unless you scanned and selected report which would allow unchecking items you wanted to keep.

#6 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I've been using that tool for over 7 months and didn't know it has auto-quarantine feature.  

#7 spark2

spark2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

I guess it was a poor choice of words when I said install, but yes, I did doubleclick to run it.  I scanned, unchecked what I didn't want  removed and hit clean.  And like I said, it seemed to go okay.  PC restarted like it should. 

I just checked the logfile and it shows that the google entry was deleted.  But I never saw it in quarantine and no backup folder was there.  No idea where the "product" entry  went.

I'll remove adwcleaner and try downloading again.

thanks

#8 spark2

spark2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well, I tried downloading adwcleaner one more time, but no luck regarding a backup folder.  I have removed it again since I don't feel comfortable using the cleaner without a backup.

I even disabled smart screen filter and my antivirus before downloading.  I thought possibly IE8 was blocking part of the download but I haven't gone further with that.

Maybe someone else using the latest cleaner could check and see if they have a quarantine and backup folder also.

thanks

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

I download and ran the latest version and both sub-folders were created. The Quarantine sub-folder is created the same time as when the AdwCleaner folder is created. The Backup subfolder is created when choosing the option to clean.

#10 spark2

spark2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't know what the problem could be on this end.  As I said in my earlier post from yesterday, I scanned and cleaned a product entry only called "google update helper".  The logfile showed it as deleted, but there was no backup folder after cleaning and quarantine showed empty.  So no way to restore if I had to.

The other detections found were under "registry" but I unchecked those and they were not removed.  I did some searching and it looked like most of those detections had to do with yahoo companion or toolbar plus a browser helper.  Never had anything yahoo.  I guess I could try again and just clean one of those and see what happens.  Or maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

thanks

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

I will ask the developer to take a look at this topic.

Can you copy and paste the contents of your AdwCleaner[R0].txt and AdwCleaner[R1] in your next reply for Xplode to review? All AdwCleaner.txt logs are all stored in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

#12 Xplode

Xplode

• Security Colleague
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hi,

This detection is a false positive and will be removed for the next version ( 3.003 )

Quarantine doesn't contain anything because products refers only to registry keys, and AdwCleaner only quarantines files/folders.

Regards.

#13 spark2

spark2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Ok, thanks for the explanation about why I didn't see a backup folder.  It always pays to ask when in doubt.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#15 acfarmer93

acfarmer93

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:57 AM

i tried using the quarantine manager and every time i do, it does nothing. is there a process in which i need to proplerly do it? and if not is there at least a way to restore the quarantined files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users