Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti virus - spam software

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 crystalhealing

crystalhealing

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

What would be a good anti virus and spam software to install on my windows XP laptop?

Moderator Edit: Moved from Introductions to a More Appropriate forum.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 September 2013 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jesusrburgos

jesusrburgos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Creo que dentro de los programas gratis el avira cumple con las mayoría de especificaciones como también el antivirus de microsoft el security essentials.

Dentro de los pagados el ESET NOD32 AntiVirus es un antivirus de calidad y eficacia realmente impresionantes

#3 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Creo que dentro de los programas gratis el avira cumple con las mayoría de especificaciones como también el antivirus de microsoft el security essentials.

Dentro de los pagados el ESET NOD32 AntiVirus es un antivirus de calidad y eficacia realmente impresionantes

I don't get what you're saying...

#4 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Anyway :hello: & :welcome: to BleepingComputers. Besides,it isn't a place where you should post your computer-related questions. Since you're running Windows XP,you should post it on Windows XP : Home & Professional sub-forum

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

JHC, Google Translate http://translate.google.com/ is Your friend.

Translated to

I believe in free avira program meets most specifications as also the antivirus microsoft security essentials.

Within paid the NOD32 AntiVirus is an antivirus software really impressive quality and efficiency

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 September 2013 - 11:54 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

:welcome:

Whatever You decide to try make sure it will work with XP. As an example Norton Antivirus no longer supports XP.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Anyway :hello: & :welcome: to BleepingComputers. Besides,it isn't a place where you should post your computer-related questions. Since you're running Windows XP,you should post it on Windows XP : Home & Professional sub-forum

By the way, a little tip, just report these topics so a mod can move them instead of asking the user to post a new topic.

@crystalhealing

Welcome to BC!

This list differs between people, but most would agree to it:
Best free anti-viruses: Avast! Free and Microsoft Security Essentials.
Best paid ant-viruses: Kasparsky, ESET NOD32 and BitDefender.
Best anti-malware (you should add this for extra defence): Malwarebytes PRO (the free version is still very good, but has no real time protection).

Also see these: 
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Choosing a Firewall

As for a spam filter, I have no experience so I cannot comment on what are ones are good or not.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hi, xXToffeeXx

If I said I do not even use a Spam filter so I have no opinion. Every once in a while a Spam or two leaks through so I can only assume that my ISP filters it and a darn good job of it too.

As I see it the problem is that there are fewer choices for older OS's such as XP than there used to be.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,041 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi, xXToffeeXx

If I said I do not even use a Spam filter so I have no opinion. Every once in a while a Spam or two leaks through so I can only assume that my ISP filters it and a darn good job of it too.

As I see it the problem is that there are fewer choices for older OS's such as XP than there used to be.

Roger

I agree, I have a spam box on my email and all spam goes to there so that's the main reason I have not needed one. If the user is getting a lot of spam through their email I suggest they take it up with their ISP or email company as they might be able to do something about it.

Yes, but most anti-viruses still support at the moment. Only in a few years will there be no support since a lot of users still use XP. Still, I agree that there is less choice, and if you can switching to another OS is best (otherwise it will be like Win98 in a few years).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#10 crystalhealing

crystalhealing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

thank you for the responses, someone else said to try the esetnod32, I'll check it out

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,041 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

If you don't mind paying, then it's a very good anti-virus with good detections, features and is not too heavy on the system.

Your welcome,

xXToffeeXx~

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

For a free spam filter I can suggest MailWasher.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources just as xXToffeeXx~ noted in her reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 jamesedwards399

jamesedwards399

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

Here is the list of some antivirus and spam software which you can use. These tools are available in both free and paid versions. Choose according to system requirements and your data security need:

Antivirus Software for laptops :-

·         Microsoft security Essentials

·         Avast free Antivirus

·         AVG Antivirus Free Edition

·         Immunet Free Antivirus

·         ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus

Spam Defense Software for Free:-

·         Spamfence

·         K9 - Free Spam Filter

·         SpamRIP

MailWasher Free 

Edited by jamesedwards399, 03 September 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#15 Selvaraj

Selvaraj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

What would be a good anti virus and spam software to install on my windows XP laptop?

Moderator Edit: Moved from Introductions to a More Appropriate forum.

Roger

for anti virus you can use avast antivirus free it has got good detection rate and automatic update, and any good malware removal tool like malwarebytes, advanced system care etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users