Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a ready-to-go replacement hard drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wellsspanish

wellsspanish

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop with Vista OS. I've recently bought a new hard drive for the computer in anticipation of the current drive eventually failing. Here's my question. Can I temporarily remove the current working hard drive, install the new blank one and download from CD the Vista operating system along with saved data from my portable hard drive? I would then remove the new drive to keep as a ready-to-go replacement and re-insert the original hard drive. Side note: the original drive is 160 gigs and the new replacement is 320 (thought I'd do a conservative upgrade).

Thanks,

wells spanish

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

You could...just clone the current hard drive to the new one.  A clone is an exact copy...whatever is on the old drive at the time of the clone...would be on the new drive, an exact match.

No download of anything (other than the program used to do the cloning) is necessary.

Louis

#3 wellsspanish

wellsspanish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. The cloning idea I've pursued but got stymied. I bought a "USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE" kit (???) that includes a "hard drive clone software" CD and a bunch of wires that I have no idea how to use. The only directions included refer to which options to click on when using the software CD, but also asks at one point to select and enter your source drive and target drive. Whaaaaa? How would the new blank hard drive be connected to this stuff to receive the clone data - I mean there no receptacle to slide it into. As you can tell, I'm not a heavy techie and into the jargon but would be grateful to learn how to do a hard drive clone if you could explain it in simple terms. Thanks again.

wells spanish

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

An external hard drive...is nothing but an internal hard drive which has been placed inside an enclosure with a USB connection.

There is no need to purchase an "external hard drive" when it is just as easy to purchase an internal hard and some apparatus that allosw connection of the 2d drive via USB.

I haven't used USB-connected drives for at least 5 years now...but when I did, I used something like the following:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817270033 .  There cable alternatives as well.

Of course...if the hard drive is SATA, a SATA enclosure is called .  If PATA, a PATA enclosure.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#5 wellsspanish

wellsspanish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Louis, thanks for your follow-up, I'll do the best I can with it.

#6 zailaiboke

zailaiboke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

do the best I can with it.

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#7 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

On another board one of the regular posters uses the technique of making a system image with Macrium Reflect, then "restoring it" to an internal drive in a USB docking station.  He does this maybe once a week and puts this drive in a drawer. If the system drive fails then it's just r and r the drive with only a weeks worth of updates lost.

I never tried it myself but I've heard of others doing similar things with external drive enclosures etc..

He's a hardware guy so he can likely change out the physical drive faster than restoring from software(say if the files got corrupted on the system drive rather than the drive haing a mechanical failure.)

Edited by MilesAhead, 06 September 2013 - 09:39 AM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users