Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Sound problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnRoss

JohnRoss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

When listening to any sound source like Youtube or BBC iPlayer the quality on this Windows 8 machine, HP Pavilion, is ok. If I record the music on either Audacity or Windows sound recorder the playback sounds weird like the speakers were under water. Tried changing levels but no difference made. Any suggestions, folks?...............................JR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hi

My primary suspicion is a poor quality mic. Most microphones which came built in with the headset are meant for chatting and won't provide quality sound input needed for recording purpose. My suggestion is to buying a high quality professional grade headset or standalone mic.

#3 JohnRoss

JohnRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thanks but there is no headset or mic connected to this machine just a couple of speakers and their amp...........JR

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi

If you are looking for good audio quality audio capturing, i recommend buying an external microphone. For example, http://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Computer-Laptop-Notebook-canceling/dp/B002KL0VY2

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#5 RDanielGR

RDanielGR

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks but there is no headset or mic connected to this machine just a couple of speakers and their amp...........JR

What about the built-in microphone, is it enabled or not? Maybe sound coming from multiple sources (internet, microphone etc) is being recorded simultaneously, so you get the results you describe.

#6 JohnRoss

JohnRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

There is no microphone as far as I can tell on this machine. The point is that the sound quality is ok when you listen to stuff available on-line. It is only when you record the audio using Audacity or Windows sound recoder that the problem is there on playback. I have tried changing the sampling rate on Audacity with no obvious good effect. I don't see that there can be any question of acoustic feedback as there is no mic and the problem is there when I have the speakers on or off during the recording. I guess the analogue audio signal is being quantified by the software recorder hence my looking at sampling rate but so far nothing has indicated that this could be the cause of the problem. I get the same effect when I download stuff from Youtube and strip off the video. Sounds ok until I load it into Audacity and then on playback the problem appears. I use Audacity to normalise and edit the recordings. So real time recording or downloading and transfer to the recorder same effect, distorted audio on playback. Did not have this problem on my last machine with Windows Vista which makes me wonder if this is another Windows 8 problem..........JR

PS I do re-save the audio in WAV format so could that be anything to do with this problem? I don't think so as the distortion is there on playing the recording on Audacity before I save it.

Edited by JohnRoss, 02 September 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#7 JohnRoss

JohnRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

Ok after much fiddling can now load files of music and edit and resave them with no obvious distortion. However distortion very obvious when playing back after recording streaming audio. Not too much of a problem except where you cannot download files as in BBC iPlayer radio. I notice that when recording streaming audio the slider at the top right hand side of the Audacity control panel with the loudspeaker symbol controls recording level which strikes me as being odd. The other slider with the microphone symbol does nothing but then I don't have a mic connected to this machine.........................JR

#8 JohnRoss

JohnRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

As an experiment I have downloaded a trial copy of Wondershare streaming audio recorder. This does not produce the distortion that I am hearing with Windows recorder or Audacity. So I can download music with Wondershare and then transfer the file and edit with Audacity but it is strange that Wondershare works ok in Windows 8 and Audacity and Windows own recorder has this problem. In another place someone has suggested that there is a problem with Beats Audio which this machine is using.............JR 

#9 iinesti2020

iinesti2020

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Pretty helpful tip I guess for everyone, I am already using Audials Tunebite to capture and save streaming movies and videos from Youtube online streaming library:

This one gets me good quality videos plus I can also use it to convert recorded Youtube video streams to any format I need for easy watching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users