Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP: 0x0000007B error while using recovery disc for reinstall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Modus47

Modus47

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hello

My PC keeps getting slower and slower and I want to do a full clean reinstall because I think that will make it fast enough again for me for another few more years.

My PC specs:
-250 GB HD Maxtor 6L250R0
-1 GB memory
-original Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP3

The HD is divided into a C partition of 15 GB with only XP on it, everything else is installed on the D partition. On the new install I would like to make the C partition slightly bigger (25-30 GB).
The only part that has been replaced so far is the power supply block.

So yesterday I put the recovery disc (RD) in the DVD drive and tried to boot from it. After a few seonds in this process I get a BSOD with the following message:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A2A640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
To protect your PC the setup has been stopped.

If you keep on seeing this message try and do the following:
-check for viruses
-remove any newly installed HDs or controllers
-check HD to make sure it's properly configured and terminated
-run CHKDSK /F to check for HD corruption and restart your PC

I have already done some searching on this type of error and it appears I'm not the only one that has it. Tips to solve this include running the already mentioned CHKDSK /F or /R (both of which I have done already) and changing some BIOS setting about SATA/IDE. I looked into BIOS and as far as I know everything seems to be fine there, but I'm far from expert on this matter. Also I know my PC is completely free of viruses or malware of any kind.

However, after doing these steps I still keep getting the same blue screen when trying to boot from the RD. Maybe I should actually change something in BIOS that I don't recognize, or something else is stopping my install routine.

I hope you have enough information to help me solve this.
thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Good morning :).

As you noted, STOP 7B errors are quite common when users are trying reinstalls.

Did you change the first boot device in the BIOS...to reflect the optical drive?  What is the second boot device refflected?

System manufacturer and model?

Did you make your recovery disk...or did it come with the system?

Louis

#3 Modus47

Modus47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Well, I actually feel quite stupid now. I had another look in BIOS and the Boot Device Priority settings, that has my DVD player on top of the list. My recovery disc was in my DVD writer all the time. :grinner:

When in the DVD player I am actually able to access the menu of the recovery disc (an application apparently called Clarity) and see all the options I need (f.e. a wizard).

I will now go on trying to reinstall and post here if I managed to do so.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

:thumbup2: , worse things have happened to each of us :).

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

#5 Modus47

Modus47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

So I actually managed to do a clean reinstall. Although you didn't have to do a lot so far, your comment on checking the first boot device actually helped me discover my mistake, so thanks for that anyway :thumbup2:

This topic can be closed now....

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

We don't normally close topics...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users