Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Control Panel in Safe Mode???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eddieshoe

Eddieshoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

System Restore required Safe Mode. Once finished getting out of Safe Mode became a challenge. If I had not put a shortcut to Control Panel on the Desktop to access Administrative Tools I might never have found my way out of Safe Mode.  But, what if I didn't have the shortcut to Control Panel on the Desktop?

1. Where would I find Control Panel to get to Administrative Tools in Safe Mode?

2. Any alternative way (other than going to Administrative Tools) to do a normal re-boot back into Windows 8 out of Safe Mode?

Eddieshoe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hi

You can use the Msconfig utility to set Windows to either boot in normal mode or safe mode. MSconfig utility can be accessed from safe mode via RUN dialogue.

1. Press the Win+R key combination and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter

image39.png

2. Switch over to the boot tab, and click on the Safe Boot check box.

image40.png

3. If you restart you PC you will just keep getting booted into Safe Mode, to stop this open msconfig again and uncheck the Safe Boot option, then hit the ok button.

image43.png

Finally Restart your Machine.

BTW , Windows 8 is a pain in the butt when it comes to troubleshooting. I hope they will fix the safe mode in Windows 8.1 release.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 September 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#3 Eddieshoe

Eddieshoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thank you Anshad.

The navigational changes in W8 are slowing down repair work. More learning curve than expected.

Appreciate your quick response.

Eddieshoe

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hi

You might be interested in the below link.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6795-windows-8-tutorial-index.html

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thats still a pain running msconfig because if Win8 won't startup you can't change any settings to Boot.

Someone said you can access Safe Mode without but they didn't say how when I asked.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hi Keithuk

Yes, an unbootable Windows 8 machine can be configured to boot to safe mode using the BCDedit command from an install DVD or system repair disc. For more info, read the below guide ( option five ).

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2757-safe-mode-start-windows-8-a.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users