Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programming Language for Game Development

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Soumikbhat

Soumikbhat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hello all, I'm thinking of starting on Game development. The fact is I am a beginner in programming, and am on to learning C/C++ extensively. I would like to learn Animation in the future for this project. But I require some very basic information on some aspects of Game Development, like, what are the programming languages that are used etc. I know Animation plays a huge part in these things, but specifically, what languages are exactly used in programming the games like, Age of Empires, EA Sports Games etc. ? 
Any useful tips for absolute beginners in game-development would be appreciated. 
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

Most popular language in game development is C++. But .NET based languages are also getting popular specially on Windows. It further depends on gaming platforms you are targeting. For example, web based flash games are designed using ActionScript. On Android, you must have Java knowledge. On iOS you should know ObjectiveC.

You should have general understanding of the targeted platform API like Windows API or Android programming etc. It comes handy, but not necessary.

Knowledge of graphics libraries like DirectX, OpenGL etc. is a must. Again it depends on the targeted platform.

The 3d models and textures in my knowledge are best designed using 3DStudio but there are other tools like Maya. They can also create animation.

And still after doing all the above, you would have just started out as a beginner game programmer.

You can find many nice tutorials and more information at http://www.gamedev.net

#3 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

For your question:

C++ is probably the most commonly used language for creating games runned from OS. About animation I have received positive feedback about Blender so

its worth trying.

There are also many decent game making platforms that offer good tools and documentation for beginners. There are XNA Framework and its implementation MonoGame. These use C# language which is easy to learn and you dont have to worry so much about pointers and stuff like that. 

One popular platform is Unity, which works as far as I know using both C# and Javascript.

Great thing about these platform is that they work on many devices:

XNA on Microsoft platforms like Windows and Xbox 360

MonoGames on iOS, Android, OSX,Linux and Windows

Unity on all the above plus PS3, WiiU and even on browsers.

These kind of tools are designed so that you can pretty much start right away so you dont usually need to create "frame" for your application for example using WinAPI. However I highly suggest that you

study how to do it from the beginning.

I suggest you to take a look at this site:

http://www.riemers.net/

At has pretty good tutorial for beginners using XNA and DirectX on windows.

Another thing that I would like to point out that you are going to use a lot of math in game development so I suggest that you get yourself good understanding of vectors and matrices. Good luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users