Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Acer Laptop only shows black screen with cursor think infected.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 52mike

52mike

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hi. I unwisely clicked on a Facebook link and was taken to a page which I was unable to leave. I finally turned off the computer and when I restarted it the screen just showed black with the cursor. After Googling the problem, I've tried system repair, system restore, restoring in safe mode, changed SATA to IDE, taken out the battery and depressed the start button, and changed the Boot order but none of these have worked. I can't access my antivirus/antimalware packages. It would be a personal disaster for me if I'm forced to return the laptop to its initial state as I've only backed up some of my data. I would be grateful for any help/advice. Thanks.   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hi Are you able to boot the computer into Safe mode / Safe mode with networking / Safe mode with command prompt ?

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#3 52mike

52mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi. Thanks for replying. I can select safe mode/safe mode with networking/ safe mode with command prompt. I did select safe mode and attempted to boot computer a number of times but it got stuck at the same place and wouldn't fully load windows.  

#4 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Where does it get stuck at in Safe mode?

Regards, dev00790

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#5 52mike

52mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hi. The last line on the screen is:

loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

This stays on the screen for about 5 seconds and then the screen just shows black with a cursor

#6 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

Ok. What version of Windows are you using?

Regards, dev00790

#7 52mike

52mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

windows 7

#8 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Sorry. Ok I have reported this to an internal topic that deals with unbootable computers. Someone will be with you shortly.

Regards, dev00790

#9 52mike

52mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Thanks

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hello and sorry for the delay.

Please try the following: start the computer and tap F8 until the Advanced Boot Menu options come up. Select Repair Windows. Let me know if this is able to load the recovery environment and if so, try to do a Startup Repair. Let me know if this works.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users