Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White and Black dots in BIOS and during system start-up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RayLight

RayLight

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering if you could help me with my problem.

Currently during the start-up of my laptop (XPS M1730) there can be seen white stripes on the loading screen of the system and white and black dots in the Bios setup. The dots and stripes disappear when the system loads and everything would be ok if not for the fact that it seems that Nvidia drivers are not responding and more advanced actions requiring graphic's card support are not working. When I try to configure the driver a pup-out window appears: "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU". My second monitor also does not respond when I plug it to the video card output.

The problems started when the laptop's display began not to start up on wake-up from the power saving option - the laptop was totally unresponsive. The laptop also sometimes does not start-up after the loading screen - the display is black and the cpu stops processing. It starts up after I boot it in the safe mode and then reset it. 

Once the system loads up, there are no problems with the resolution (it's on max setting) and the display is clear of any dots or stripes. It can play videos just fine if they are in minimized mode (full screen mode staggers terribly). It works as if there are no Nvidia drivers installed.

I tried to uninstall drivers and install even the very old ones from the Dell support site, but to no avail.  I haven't yet tried to reinstall Vista, as I would like to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

As for the specs, they are as follows:

Laptop - XPS M1730

Windows Vista Ultimate x32

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T9300 2.50GHz

NVIDA GeForce 8800M GTX SLI

Thank you very much for taking interest in my problem, and if my English is difficult to understand then I'm very sorry (it's not my native language:)).

Hope to hear from you soon.

All the best

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

<<I tried to uninstall drivers and install even the very old ones from the Dell support site, but to no avail. >>

Not sure what that means...did you uninstall all video drivers,,,then reinstall the correct ones from the Dell website?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/xps-m1730?driverId=TWT2M&osCode=WLH&fileId=2731102031&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

Louis

#3 RayLight

RayLight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yes, I uninstalled the newest ones that were downloaded from the Nvidia site, and installed the ones that you linked in your post.

Thank you for the reply.

Ray

Edited by RayLight, 01 September 2013 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users