Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer suddenly slows down suddenly and sporadically for minutes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Twistervtx

Twistervtx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hello, and thank you for reading this.

As of just today, for some weird reason, my computer has just started to hiccup and freeze out of nowhere, and it's more prominent with any program that uses the internet (i.e. Firefox, Steam, etc), but it freezes up the entire computer along with the program. 

This is especially aggravating as just yesterday, my computer was working absolutely fine with no hitches or sudden slow downs, but by today, it just starts to act this way, despite me doing anything to the computer at the time.  I have also ran a complete virus scan twice to no avail, and I tried using System Restore, only for it to fail.

I'm currently running under Windows Vista Home Premium x64. I've attached a HijackThis Log, if anyone can read that.  Attached File  HijackThis Log.txt   13.05KB   2 downloads

I would hope that this doesn't turn out to be a hardware issue, so if this is something of a software issue, I would hope I could fix this, as I really need my computer as it has important school files and such.

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2013 - 07:03 PM.
Moved from Vista to Malware Removal Logs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi Twistervtx and welcome to BC.

Sorry for the delay in response to your thread.

HijackThis doesn't enumerate 64bit systems very well, but i can see some problems in the report.

P2P Warning
Please note that as long as you're using any form of Peer-to-Peer networking ( Frostwire, Ares, uTorrent etc.) and downloading files from non-documented sources, you can expect infestations of malware to occur.
Once upon a time, P2P file sharing was fairly safe. That is no longer true.
P2P programmes form a direct conduit onto your computer, their security measures are easily circumvented, and Malware writers are increasingly exploiting them to spread their wares onto your computer. Further to that, if your P2P programme is not configured correctly you may be sharing more files than you realise. There have been cases where people's Passwords, Address Books and other personal, private, and financial details have been exposed to the file sharing network by a badly configured programme.

Many of the programmes come bundled with other unwanted programmes, but even the ones free of any bundled software are not safe to use.
When you use them you are downloading software from an unknown source directly onto your computer, bypassing your Firewall and Anti-Virus software. Hardly surprising then that many of these Downloads are being targeted to carry infections.
Having a P2P program running at startup is even more dangerous!

You may decide to continue P2P sharing, but keep in mind that this practice may be the source of future malware infestation.
If we clean your computer of infection, and you return to us a short time later with an infection contracted by the use of P2P programmes, we may refuse to help you.

If do you do decide (unwisely) to keep these programs, please refrain from using them until we have finished cleaning your system.

Step 1
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
Step 2
Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer.
  • After the scan has finished...
  • Click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
Step 3
  • Download OTL to your desktop.
    right click on the link and select 'Save Link/Target As'.

if you have problems, try this download link:
    OTL
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check

Otllatest.png

Now copy the lines in bold below.

netsvcs
msconfig
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\system32\*.exe /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%PROGRAMFILES%\*
%USERPROFILE%\..|smtmp;true;true;true /FP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • right click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window (under the blue bar) and choose Paste.

scan-fix.png
  • Click the Run Scan button.

runscan.png
  • Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them with your next reply.
In your next reply, please submit:
JRT.txt
AdwCleaner report
and both reports from Otl.

Thanks.

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users