Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon i560 injet drivers off MS's site won't install Win7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

I finally managed to d/l the x64 driver for this printer directly from MS's update site as opposed to doing it through update driver since I want a copy of the driver so I can load off line like I do with all other drivers for the past 13 years.
I finally managed to figure out how to get the driver without using the "update driver" through Device Manager that automatically d/l's the driver, installs it but with no copy saved for backup. You have to repeat the process if you re-install the O/S which is stupid and unnecessary.

That is after you change the setting under "Device Installation Settings" to "Yes do this automatically" since it won't work if you leave it at the default setting.

The two packages I have are x86 & x64 for this i560. Using the .inf file, both return the same message that is isn't the correct driver. 

There is no .exe so I can run it by itself.

Canon has some file that is suppose to work, but with no details just how to use it. A fix for the problem. I tried that, but that has absolutely no effect.

Any ideas here, I have never need to do all of this for any device .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

I have used a Canon printer for several years now and never had a problem getting drivers from the Canon web-site. Googling 'Canon i560' brings up links to both Canon Europe and USA  and both list the same driver files for this printer - the main driver and an add-on. I would download, save and install both, but load the main file first.

The driver selector merely requires that you choose your operating system and language, and support goes back to at least XP.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

The only driver Canon has for the older i560 is this "Add on module" (whatever that is suppose to mean). You still have to use the "update driver" routine. Maybe newer models have drivers, but this is around 10 years old. 

This software is a module that expands the functionality of the printer driver for Canon Inkjet printers. Your printer must be installed via Microsoft Update before you download and use this module. By installing this software, you can use the printer...

Edited by videobruce, 01 September 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#4 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

You should only have to download printer driver add on module,
There are no drivers for that model in Win7. The model number gets recognized, but that's it. The exe executes, but there are no results.

What Canon USA has is here;
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/i_series/i560_series?#DriversAndSoftware

What the UK site has is here;
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/i_series/Bubble_Jet_i560.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-729895&page=1&type=download

BOTH only have this "add on module", NOT the base drivers which is what I need.

After a very lengthly search I came across this post elsewhere which answered why the update drivers didn't work initially. But, that isn't solving the problem!;

AdamCUK replied on August 1, 2011

The actual problem is that Windows is set by default not to download drivers automatically from Windows Update,
despite the fact that this is the "recommended" setting. If you set Windows to download drivers automatically
then the printer installs automatically.

Canon does not provide this driver on their website. It is provided by MICROSOFT via Windows Update.
Click the Windows button and choose Control Panel.
Select "System" then "System and Security".
Choose "Advanced System Settings".
Choose the "Hardware" tab and click on the "Device Installation Settings" button.
Choose "Yes, do this automatically (recommended)", then click on "Save changes".
Now add the printer again and it should work.

Managing to find Microsoft's Update Catalog site for driver downloads (which I have never used or even heard of since I never had a need for it in 13 years) I obtained both versions for Win7 (x86 & x64 just in case). Since neither have a .exe file they have to get installed via a .inf file which leads to the problem, both get rejected which puts me back to square one.

In case anyone doesn't see the problem here, very simply; what happens when MS removes those drivers (via the auto update process)? Throw the printer out?? THERE IS NO WAY TO SAVE THEM! :thumbsdown:

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Sorry, I must have misunderstood something here.

Available software
  1. Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Add-On Module

File version: 1.10

Operating system(s): Windows 7, Windows 7 (x64), Windows Vista, Windows Vista (x64)

Language(s): لعربية, Čeština, Dansk, Deutsch, Ελληνικά, English, Español, Suomi, Français, Magyar, Italiano, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Português, Русский, Svenska, Türkçe

Description:This product is a module that expands the functionality of the printer driver for Canon Inkjet printers as included in Windows Vista and 7.

2. Easy-PhotoPrint EX Ver. 4.1.6 (Windows 8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)

File version: 4.1.6

Operating system(s): Windows 8, Windows 8 (x64), Windows 7, Windows 7 (x64), Windows Vista, Windows Vista (x64), Windows XP

Language(s): English

Description:This file is a handy application program that allows you to create and print your own album, calendar, stickers, and CD-ROM labels* using the images you recorded with your digital camera. And furthermore, you can easily print borderless photos and so on. *: Only for the models supporting CD-ROM printing.

I thought the second of these was your main driver for this printer, that's with the choices set to 64 bit Win 7 and English. If it isn't the printer driver then I do see the problem you refer to - how long are MS going to keep this driver (and doubtless others) in their update catalogue ?  Let's hope that it is longer than the life of the printer.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

The 2nd link seems to be just a program without any drivers.

This file is a handy application program that allows you to create and print your own album, calendar, stickers, and CD-ROM label

The files I did get from MS will not install, only returning errors of incompatibility.

BTW, the reason I like this 10 year old printer is it's inexpensive and very easy to refill the tanks! I can fill them without removing them. The print head is separate.

Edited by videobruce, 02 September 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

the reason I like this 10 year old printer is it's inexpensive and very easy to refill the tanks!

I can see why you are attached to this printer, I would be too !

But having said that, I think you are screwed - if / when MS pull these drivers out of their update catalogue and for some reason you need to re-install them, you won't be able to and will need to bin a printer in perfectly good working order. On the other hand, printers are not designed to last ten years, this one really doesn't owe you very much !

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

if / when MS pull these drivers out of their update catalogue and for some reason you need to re-install them, you won't be able to and will need to bin a printer in perfectly good working order.

That is exactly my point!

The model is 10 years old, the printer is well less than that with 7400 copies. What it replaced was another i560 with 40k copies. I have a spare with around 20k copies on it (?). 

#9 PSantos11

PSantos11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

I was also searching for a way to install my Canon i550 on Windows 7 64 bits. After reading this thread namelly post #4 of user videobruce I made a search for "canon i550" on the search box of the Microsoft Update Catalog and found several drivers for this printer.in the following link:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=canon%20i550

The search return 5 results but on the result page it's not very clear what type of Windows is supported for each driver, i.e. x86 or x64.  I have download the five files and after extracting each one to one folder and opening the . inf file on it, have found the right one.

After that, I have gone to the Control Panel, then system followed by Device manager and found the printer on "other devices".  Clicking on the device name with the right button, gone to "Update driver" -> "Search for the controler software in the computer -> browse to the location of the correct folder with the correct controler and selected it.  Clicking on the next button will install the driver on the computer.

And voilá! After several hours spent with this I did get my printer installed in Windows 7 x64 which I almost thought it would't be possible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users