Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentified item on network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Auburntiger

Auburntiger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

I noticed, when checking "My Network" on McAfee, that there are four items connected to it. One is the router, one is my computer, one is for the laptop, but there is a fourth one and I dont know what it is. It just has a number above it and is listed as an "unknown device".

How can I find out what this is, and how can I get it off my network?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

You can login to your routers setup on a browser and see if it shows you the dhcp address of the device or the mac address. From there you can do an ip search using an ip scanner or do a mac address search online. You can also open a command prompt after you find out the ip address of the device and type nbtstat -A <IP>. <IP> is the ip address of the device. If need be download Angry IP Scanner and get the IP address if you can't find it the other way. Then download NMap and see what it tells you.

Also if you have a wireless printer, that could be what it is to.

Edited by chrisd87, 31 August 2013 - 05:42 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 cparky

cparky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

Download nmap / zenmap and scan the IP.  This could show you what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users