Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storing emails on external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lola1

lola1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hi.  I'm new to this and would really appreciate some advice!.  I am trying to get rid of stuff on my old computer and I would like to know if it's possible to remove selected emails from my computer and store them on my external hard drive?  I am using Outlook 2003.

Mod Edit: Moved topic from Windows 95/98/ME to External Hardware. ~bloopie

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2013 - 03:58 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

You can store emails anywhere...they are just data files.

The first 5 links Here seem to cover the process.

Louis

#3 lola1

lola1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Many thanks!  Will give it a try! Lola

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi.  I'm new to this and would really appreciate some advice!.  I am trying to get rid of stuff on my old computer and I would like to know if it's possible to remove selected emails from my computer and store them on my external hard drive?  I am using Outlook 2003.

Are you trying to "archive" the messages (i.e. not actively use the messages)? Or do you want to store them on the external drive but still be able to regularly access them?

In reality, the process will be the same for either case...i.e. create a new PST file on the external drive, "attach" or "mount" that PST, and then move those messages/folders to the new PST file, which should show up as a separate item that can "expand" to show folders, etc). One of the links from the Google search that hamluis linked to will likely provide specific instructions if you need them.

The main difference is that if you want/need to regularly access them, then that external drive will need to be turned on when the computer is on. That is not really a big deal, but if the reason you want to do it is that you are running out of drive space on the computer, you might be better served by upgrading the internal drive.

#5 lola1

lola1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Many thanks for all the suggestions.  Lola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users