Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External monitor setup basics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

I just set up a secondary monitor to use with my laptop, but I have a couple questions. (Yes, I know each topic is supposed to be about a single topic, but trust me: these two questions are really remedial)

1. The two monitors have different coloring. I've played around with the settings pages, but nothing seems to yield the desired results. Does anyone have any tips to make them match?

2. I have the desktop "extending" from the laptop onto the external display. The two displays are of different resolution ratios. I think my external display is being forced to adjust to the same resolution as my laptop (1366x768, instead of its native 1440x900). Is there any way to make the external display use its native resolution? From what I saw on the settings page, this seems to be impossible.

Thanks in advance!
-r0d3r1ck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

On newer laptops, the built-in display will show completely wrong colors. It's normal for any laptop new enough to have an LED backlit display. I don't know why or if there is any way to make it look any better. I guess you could find some display calibration tool to try to correct the colors. If anyone has managed to make a laptop display look correct, I'd like to know how as well.

If you do have an extended desktop, you should be able to change the resolution of each display independently. Make sure "Extend these displays" is selected in the "Multiple displays" menu in the screen resolution settings. Click on the second display at the top of the Screen Resolution window, and then you should be able to select the correct resolution.

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for the input, lti.
I sounds like I'll just have to get used to the mismatch in coloring. Oh well.
And you are indeed correct -- it turns out that my external display was already running at its native resolution.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Different brand screens are ALWAYS going to look slightly different, you can spend hours adjusting both and still be quite different, I would say just live with it, its near impossible to get them the same

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Ya it depends on the monitor. See if there is a setting to select cool, warm, or standard colors. You can try to mess around with the tint too. For the other question, it is also possible that the graphics card on that computer may not be able to support that particular resolution. I find it a lot harder to setup an external display the right way you want it to a laptop than setting up multiple displays for a desktop.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

I don't think you would want to adjust the colors on the monitor to match the laptop display. The display on my laptop looks so bad and has such a low resolution (1366x768) that I have a second monitor connected, and I use that monitor almost exclusively. The only time I actually use the laptop's display is when I have no access to a monitor.

In case you've never seen a newer laptop display, they have way too much blue and very little contrast. They've all been that way since laptop manufacturers switched to glossy LED-backlit displays. I can't understand why. The same companies that make laptop LCD panels have no problem making panels for monitors, TVs, and mobile devices using the same LED backlight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users