Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spam filters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justjaeda

justjaeda

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:36 PM

I'm receiving an obscene amount of spam and am considering using a filtering provider such as http://www.spamstopshere.com. Has anyone ever used this service?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:54 PM

Nope but there are some free spam filters available depending on your mail client. What mail client do you use?

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:56 PM

Also take a look at this post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...owtopic=448&hl=

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2004 - 08:12 AM

There are two places to set up filters. First is your ISP, second is your Email client. A combination of the two should do the trick without adding another application to your hard drive.
As I remember, OE has a filter, and I know that Mozilla and Thunderbird have them.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 natesmith

natesmith

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

I've never been too fond of ISP filters. I had a bad issue a few months back when I found out they were filtering out some of my good emails.

I usually prefer doing it at a desktop level. I've had pretty decent luck with SpamBully http://www.spambully.com Fits into OE pretty well. It conflicted with McAfee when I first installed it but now everything is going smooth with it.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:27 PM

Both Mozilla and Thunderbird Email clients have spam filtering, if you want to do filter at the desktop level, and training the l controls to recognise and handle SPAM or unwanted mail is fairly straightforward. Either programme is at least as good, if not better, than OExpress, and by using the spam filtres in the application, you do not need to install yet another program to do what a good Email client should do in the first place.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users