Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fan protecting pins slowly breaking. Any ideas to fix it? [PICTURE]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FatLord

FatLord

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hello guys!

Last Christmas I bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 15r Special Edition Laptop and so far I've been quite impressed by its performance (gaming, multimedia) and features. However, the whole thing does not seem to be perfect. Recently, after about 7-8 months of moving and travelling, the pins protecting the fan system slowly started to break one by one. The outside hardware is made of 75% aluminium and the rest is plastic. So are the pins.

Here is the pic so you guys can better see it:

nmxo.jpg

Also, you can clearly see a weakness in the plastic at the top right of the fan's plastic pins, left to the HDMI plug. This thing is starting to bug me and each week another pin is breaking.

So my question is: is there a way to stop that/ to make a plastic chassis stronger? When all the pins will be broken, what should I put to protect my fan? Is there a way to replace the pins?

Thank you very much everyone.

Edited by FatLord, 30 August 2013 - 08:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

behind that breached material is your CPU/heatsink.  There is copious hot air being blown out through there and you would think the materials used could take the heat without becoming brittle and crumbling away.

There are a number of options for material (hardware cloth) to use to protect that area from penetration. The question is about fastening that chosen material to the structure. 

It may not be perfect the way it is, but if it were my lappy, i would just live with it.

Edited by synergy513, 30 August 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

I don't know what the stuation is with regards to warranty where you live - I don't know where you live - but I would be going and having a quiet word with my supplier. We have expressions in the UK like 'Merchantable quality' and 'Fit for purpose'. Looking at your photo, your laptop doesn't show signs of undue brutality and misuse, it looks like material failure.

If the above quiet word doesn't work, then a piece of plastic mesh or stiff open weave cloth would do the job, possibly using either superglue or one of the two part resin glues like Araldite should do the job. But anything you do decide to use, should it come to that, should be very much an open material so as not to impede the flow of air. Electronics don't like getting too hot, and it is a guarranteed way of shortening their service life.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 FatLord

FatLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks guys for the answers. I will call Dell if this problem can be fixed with a warranty. Otherwise, I'll have to find some kind of clothing to put there. while still have to keep it not so ugly. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have to pay 170$ CAD for a physical damage warranty. Dell is cheap as hell.

Edited by FatLord, 09 September 2013 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users