Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus on cpu but malwarebytes doesnt detect it????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigheadcomputerwiz

bigheadcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Windows Vista Home Premium

Programs downloaded to help remove virus:
-Malwarebites Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
-Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.1
-Avira Free Antivirus
-TDSS rootkit removing tool 2.6.12.0

Detections:
In Windows, cache, cookies, history
TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen
Windows.OpenWith
And more....

Story:
Yesterday, Avira kept popping up saying I had a virus. I did a full system scan and it detected files and put them in quarantine. Same thing with Spybot. (Not understanding if they were removed or not) I thought I was a super computer wiz and tried to superman save my computer by downloading malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org I managed to not download malwarebytes but another program, that just said "click here to start download", and I was so lucky to also recieve an internet tool bar that has me in a cat and mouse chase.

I do not remember the program I downloaded or the tool bar that took over my web browser but I immediately went to the Control Panel, Programs and Features, and I uninstalled the fake antivirus. I then tried to uninstall the tool bar and my computer repeatedly read something along the lines of I must wait for the other program to finish.
I downloaded the real malwarebytes, did a system scan, and deleted a bunch of crap. I also ran spybot, Avira, and ttskiller ...

Ran spybot a few times and everytime it kept finding new stuff. Then it had a popup msg that wouldnt go away no matter if I clicked okay or cancel. I brought up the task manager and closed it. Tried to run the program again and it did the same thing. Tried to switch user profiles and it locked me out or both saying there is an error with system.

I then realized I'm a super genius and finally remebered I can go into safemode. Went into safemode, ran a full scan from malwarebytes. Malwarebytes said 0 detected. Started up spybot and my computer shut off. Turned the cpu on into safe mode, happened again... Went to Avira it only scans to 3.9%... No higher.
Tdsskiller, no problems.

I went to the control panel and deleted every program I downloaded yesterday except the real malwarebytes.
A redshield icon "Windows Web Protection" which seemed to be installed, well I deleted that too.

I restarted the cpu in safemode but now I'm not sure if I should delete spybot because it kept turning my cpu off because it has items in quarentine. Also, what does quarentine even mean for a computer? That it holds all the detections in one folder? How do I delete them? Should I delete them?
What about the quarentine items in Avira?
My computer just shut off again!

What do I have to do to be virus free!?!

Moderator Edit: Moved from Windows Vista to the More Appropriate Forum.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 August 2013 - 06:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 linuxmaster

linuxmaster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Re-install Winblows is your best bet. Backup and good luck :thumbup2:  Virus Free?? Linux  :wink:

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

A quick read Clean, Quarantine, or Delete?
I would not delete them yet as the system is now unstable.
The possibility exists that one quarantined file is needed and has to be restored.

If you do not want to reinstall ,though that may be faster, I do not know what apps are on here. We would need to see the logs o the removed items.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. You can back up all your important documents, personal data files, photos, music, videos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), dynamic link library (*.dll), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or by adding double file extensions and/or space(s) in the file's name to hide the real extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.If your computer will not boot properly, please refer to:If you need additional assistance with reformatting, partitioning or reinstalling the OS, you can start a new topic in the Operating Systems Subforums.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users