Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MsMpEng.exe - High CPU Utilization

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Seatbelt99

Seatbelt99

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

My computer has been sporadically running REALLY slow.  Like it will take 10-15 seconds just for text that I type to show up.  Loading a web page will hang for quite a while, then load fine.  It usually goes really slow for 1-2 minutes, then seem fine for a little while, then slow again.  When it is fine, it could last 5 minutes or an hour.  Nothing, that I can see anyway, is triggering it.

The cause of the issue seems to be MsMpEng.exe,(which is part of MS Security Essentials).  When I pull up my resource monitor, MsMpEng.exe is consistantly at 23-30% CUP utilization.  Nothing else is using anything significant.    This exe is also taking up a decent amount of memory (235,116 kb).  And a decent amount of disk activity (1,662,939 B/Sec).  

This is a steady amount for MsMpEng.  I'd understand if it were only when it running a scan or something, but that's not the case. 

My Computer Specs (if you need them): 

Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz

Memory: 12 GIG

MS Security Essentials is my only anti-virus, ect so I'd really rather not just disable it.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hi -
Just a 5 minute fix cured my similar problem last week, I needed to Uninstall and Reinstall my M.S.E. program for an unknown reason

The following was added based on a reply from Support to address removal of MSE to resolve issues with a failed upgrade from 2.x to v4:

Use the FixIt Tool to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.
This tool is designed to fix issues like, MSE registry issues, removes remnants of Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer.
a. To do this run the FixIt tool from the following links.
b. Click the below link and select Run Now button.
M.S.E Removal Tool
c. After downloading and running for the first time
d. Select Run on small pop-up window and select Run on Internet Explorer-Security Warning Window.
e. Select Detect problems and let me select the files to apply.
f. Select Uninstalling.
g. After detecting problems Select Microsoft Security Client to uninstall and click Next.
h. Repeat the steps from b to f and, this time select Microsoft Antimalware from list to uninstall and click Next.
i. Restart your computer and reinstall Microsoft Security essentials.
Click the Download button to start the download, and click Go.

You could also post a Security Check log, if you have time

Download Security Check by Screen317
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users