Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning A Drive - Acronis

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Khellendros

Khellendros

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have a 2 TB WD Elements drive that is dying. It is so corrupt that I cannot move most files off of it normally. I purchased a 3 TB WD Elements drive so that I could attempt to drive clone the data over before it is lost. They are the same brand and model, so I did not foresee any problems.

Acronis will not let me select the 3 TB drive as the cloning destination, only my other two 2 TB drives. I have no idea why. I am considering moving everything from one of the other 2 TB drives onto the 3 TB one and then just cloning the dying drive onto the other 2 TB. This would be really inconvenient though and take a lot of time.

Does anyone know a way to just make Acronis clone it to the 3 TB? Even an explanation as to why it won't would be appreciated!

Oh, and I already tried shrinking the 3 TB down to the exact size of the 2 TB ones in Computer Management, but Acronis still showed it as 3 TB (despite Windows treating it as 2 TB now) and still would not let me select it as the destination.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't know if you figure this out as it has been more than two weeks since you posted...

It might be related to the drive being a 3 TB drive:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/18772

Keep in mind that when you clone a drive with Acronis True Image, you are dealing with the WHOLE drive, not a specific partition.  That is Acronis "sees" that you are trying to clone a 2 TB drive to a 3 TB drive and it likely cannot deal with a 3 TB drive, unless you have gotten the "Plus Pack" for support with GPT disks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users