Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Fat Partition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

Ugh :thumbsup: I can't wipe a drive clean. It's just a small 40gb drive that's in a dell. I've had issues with it for a while and opted to just wipe the whole thing clean and start from scratch....well I can't. I've tried using Nortons utilities 2003 to wipe the drives and it won't work. There's a partition that's FAT (FAT32?) that it won't touch. I also can't even format/reformat using windows disk manager :flowers: The rest of the drive was partitioned NFTS (or whatever the other format is...stupid acronymns :inlove: ), and I wiped that with Nortons easily. The only thing on the FAT partition is the OS (WIN XP home edition). There's 2 folders, Windows and (I believe) Documents and Settings. I can't even delete them. I'm dead in the water right now, as since I can't delete these folders or wipe the drive, I'm at a loss.

When I look at the drive in windows explorer, it doesn't show it as "Locked" or "Protected", so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Any advice on how to finish wiping the drive? My next option is to put it in the garbage and get a new drive.

BTW, this is a drive that was so messed up with malware that it wouldn't do anything (literally). What I've done is taken another 40gb drive that I had lying around and installed it and installed xp pro on it. Then I hooked up their original drive and attempted to wipe it using Nortons utilities. It worked fine and dandy until I got to where the FAT partiton was......grrrrrr :trumpet: HERE'S a link of what I've been through/done to this drive already.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:06 AM

What's the make of the hard drive? I don't think Dell make their own, it must be made by someone else.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:26 AM

I don't know the make of the hdd. It's encased all funked up at the front of the case, and is a royal pain to get to. I can't even get it out. It's installed vertically, and has a "sheath" around it to keep it in place, and the side of the case is curved at the bottom slightly so it's difficult to get at the screws that hold it in.

If I run everest or something similar, will it tell me what the manufacturer is?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

Not sure if Everest actually tells you the maker's name or not.

The reason I ask is that Maxtor have a utility to reformat their drives with their diagnostic program Powermax

Don't suppose it will do any harm to try it. You need to download it and create a bootable floppy.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:05 AM

Hmmm....don't most manufacturers have a utlility to wipe their drives? I'll have to tear into the dell and find out who makes it.

Thanks for the help RichieP :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:09 AM

If it's a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 - 40GB ATA/133, it could be bad. Mine was manufactured in September 2003 and lasted just under 20 months.

Apparently I was not alone with Maxtor 40GB drive problems. See:
maxtor 40GB hard drives failing
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-844.html

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

UltimateBootCD

Killdisk

Have you tried Killdisk which is on the above. The killdisk direct download is a much smaller download than the ultimate boot CD, however the CD has a whole host of other good utilities.

If you use this it will completely wipe the drive.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

I tried using kill disk, but I coulnd't get it to boot from a CD. Something about burning the .iso file as an image :thumbsup: Any advice on how to do that?
Posted Image

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

You have Nero don't you steve?
Open Nero burning rom and select Recorder>Burn Image.
Point it to the ISO file. You know the rest from there.
Make sure you finalize it just to be on the safe side.
Sounds like you're dealing with the dell recovery partition.
If you still have trouble, post back.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:00 AM

I have Nero, but have never been able to burn an ISO with it. There's supposed to be a button for "advanced mode" according to the help files, but it's not there. It came with my DVD burner and I suspect it's not a full-featured version.

However, the free CDburnerXP will burn ISO's, but it's only for XP.

To burn ISO's with it, choose the top choice in the wizard to burn CD's, ISO's etc, then immediately go to the file menu and choose "write disk from ISO file." Then find the file and go.

#11 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

It came with my DVD burner and I suspect it's not a full-featured version

You suspected correctly. Bundled versions that come with burners are not full featured.
However, i use to have an old burner that came bundled with ver. 5.5 and still could burn an iso with it.
I Just had to use copy disc >more button>configure options to get the expert features window.
Anyway, even Nero Express should work. :thumbsup:

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

You have Nero don't you steve?
Open Nero burning rom and select Recorder>Burn Image.
Point it to the ISO file. You know the rest from there.
Make sure you finalize it just to be on the safe side.
Sounds like you're dealing with the dell recovery partition.
If you still have trouble, post back.

Thanks HitSquad! I'll try it when I get home tonight. I'll post back letting you (and everyone else) know how I made out!
Posted Image

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

First off, sorry for the back to back posting!

I did what HitSquad said, and it worked.....kinda :thumbsup: Killdisk formatted the "unallocated" part of the drive, but it won't touch the 31mb that's on there :inlove:

Here's what Windows Disk manager said:

Disk 1 Primary partition 31 MB FAT
Healthy (EISA Configuration)

Please note that windows will not give this drive a letter since I used Killdisk. It just leaves the spot blank where the drive letter usually goes. I also (still) can't format/reformat it using Windows disk manager.

So, now I'm back to square one: I can't wipe the drive clean.

I'm beyond frustrated. :flowers: I feel like I'm getting spanked by this hard drive :trumpet:

Help! Please!
Posted Image

#14 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

OK;

if youre done playing around >>>>> you tried the rest now try the best !!! :thumbsup: LOL just kidding

boot & nuke (free)
use the floppy version is easier unless youre comfortable and like the cd-rom imaging process
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

when the boot & nuke console opens >>>> choose the MANUAL options then select that nasty ole partition & kill it !! :flowers:

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Did you try deleting the partition and re-partitioning it? If you're going to install XP, you should have an NTFS partition anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users