Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to tell if someone uses covert programs to access my computer?(like Tails)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NotAComputerExpert

NotAComputerExpert

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

My computer is an Asus laptop. Bought it 6 weeks ago for $375. Has the AMD A8 processor and Windows 8 I have a strong windows password, but I'm now wondering if that is adequate. I am not up to speed on the latest technology at all times. I am intermediate skilled on computers, and can usuallly figure out how to do new things on the computer, but I'm not an advanced user. I have the Norton 360 security suite.  My concern is that someone is physically(and maybe remotely) accessing my computer now, as before, but possibly using this new(?) program called Tails, which apparently is a Linux based covert operating system that can be uploaded onto a memory stick drive and carried with you for covert computer usage. According to lifehacker, it "allows" a user(hacker) to access a computer, and do just about anything while on that computer without leaving any trail. So the owner has no idea that its been used, and cant find record of logons or activity. The person(s) who may be accessing my computer when I'm not around are much more computer savy than I, so if I was able to find out about Tails, they surely would be too.

I just found out about this program today, and previously I had read, even recently, that all I have to do to find out if anyone was using my computer, was to click the "event viewer" button and bring up Windows logs, which contains all the logon info and other important stuff. In fact, I just re-read about event viewer/logs as recently as a few weeks ago at CNET, and they said its all you need to look at in order to find out for sure if anyone has accessed your computer. Well, maybe not....

Previously my computer had been accessed and not only am I concerned about the types of websites may have been acessed, I also seemed to have issues with some files as well. I also began having computer issues after the previous time.  Now there is pretty clear evidence my computer is being accessed again. But I cant find records on event viewer. Thats when I did a google search for "is it possible to access a computer covertly leaving no trail", and I found out about Tails.

Here are the questions: Is it possible to find out when and if someone accessed my computer even if they used some covert software? If so, how? How do I find out for sure if files have been added, subtracted, or modified? Can I see where they went on the web? How do I prevent this type if thing in the future, and why arent new computers better able to deal with this type of thing?

Thanks

Edited by NotAComputerExpert, 30 August 2013 - 11:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

To stop USB flash drive and CD/DVD booting, you'll need to access your laptop's BIOS and disable these booting functions, or have the boot-up sequence only for the hard drive.

Then you'll need to password the BIOS access, so only you can access the BIOS and make changes.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users