Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't react due to videocard?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trilby97

Trilby97

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hi all.

To explain my problem,

Whenever I put my pc to standby mode or it goes to sleep mode on itself, I want to continue my work on it again. I press enter and my pc works back up again but my monitor won't. Putting it on and off, won't help. The only solution I know is restarting my whole pc.

I set sleep mode and turning monitor off to Never, because I'm afraid it'll screw up. Whenever it does work, somehow, I see a error saying that the Screen driver has stopped working and has been restored.

I got a suggestion to update my driver or something, but I don't want to ruin it all.

I got a Twin Frozr Nvidia GTX 660, manufactured by MSI. I went to their support page and downloaded it, but haven't installed it yet.

I just want to put my pc to Standby mode whenever I'm away for a short period of time or when I forget it, it'll go to stanby on it's own.

I want some guidance about this subject. Could it be something else or am I doing the right?

All help would be accepted, thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

If you have downloaded the drivers from the MSI web-site, installing them will do no harm and may well do some good.

There exists the possibility that the problem is with the monitor itself. You can test this by connecting it to a different computer and seeing if it behaves properly or displays the same problem. If it shows the same non-starting behaviour, the problem is almost certainly with the monitor (to shorten the testing time, set the 'sleep' time to a short period, say 5 minutes). If it behaves as it should, and wakes up when you press enter, then the problem is on your computer, and updating your video drivers is as good a starting place as any.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Trilby97

Trilby97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

If you have downloaded the drivers from the MSI web-site, installing them will do no harm and may well do some good.

There exists the possibility that the problem is with the monitor itself. You can test this by connecting it to a different computer and seeing if it behaves properly or displays the same problem. If it shows the same non-starting behaviour, the problem is almost certainly with the monitor (to shorten the testing time, set the 'sleep' time to a short period, say 5 minutes). If it behaves as it should, and wakes up when you press enter, then the problem is on your computer, and updating your video drivers is as good a starting place as any.

Chris Cosgrove

I did what you recommended me to do, and it's not my monitor. The thing is, is there a difference between Nvidia's updating and that of the manufacturer? Like, the current version of my Nvidia is 320.49. While the version on MSI's is 306.97. Is there some kind of difference? I am sorry for my lack of knowledge about software and hardware about this matter, but I've always been clueless. Sorry if this leaves you people facepalming.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

The art of trouble shooting is eliminating problems !  It's not your monitor !

There are almost certainly, but not necessarily, differences between the two video drivers you quote, but I would go with the MSI one - they made your video card - and I would update to this before I did anything else.

If this problem started fairly recently, then dong a Windows restore might get you back to a position before it started, but your tone suggests that it has been going on for a while. If updating the video drivers doesn't fix the problem, then post back but include details of your computer - make, model, OS; if it is a self-build then the main components and the OS.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Having had problems in past with NVidea drivers, I switched to ATI Cards. Saved a lot of aggravation.

#6 Trilby97

Trilby97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:58 AM

It's resolved! Waited, moved my mouse and screen came back. Also, I installed this videocard into my pc myself. I bought a corsair 650 watt PSU and a GTX 660, because I wanted to be able to play more games and increase my performance. I noticed the issue, 2 days after I had in my computer. But downloading from MSI's site helped. Thank you very much for all the help.

Apparently, downloading from MSI's site just downgraded my Nvidia version.

http://puu.sh/4gfcO.png

Edited by Trilby97, 01 September 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Glad it's sorted !

The problem with drivers for cards like yours is that it is built by one company and designed by another, both publishing drivers to which they give their own version numbers. this does make telling the best driver set difficult.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users