Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Total - Scanning A URL

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hermesx

Hermesx

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

So, I've been using virus total for a while to scan urls.

I had heard some good recommendations about it and I also wanted to feel more safe and secure while browsing sites that I had never used.

What are your thoughts on Virus Total? Do you feel that it provides users with an accurate conclusion on if a site is safe or not?

Also, a question about the Virus Total URL Scanner that I couldn't find on their FAQ page was when you scanned a url and the results came up, at the file scan section, I frequently get this notice "The URL response content could not be retrieved or it is some text format (HTML, XML, CSV, TXT, etc.), hence, it was not enqueued for antivirus scanning."

I am guessing that notice means there were no images or files at all besides text. Just want to make sure.

I appreciate all the help that anyone ever provides me with. Thank you to everyone that has assisted me in the past. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

I consider it a tool like most computer tools. It does a job the way the writer intended. Much like an AV or Anti-Malware app. This is why I also use other tools to create a multi-layered approach to site investigation. In addition to virustotals I use http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/website-safety-reports/ Then just for more information WOT and the other webutation based apps just to see what else might be a threat.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Hermesx

Hermesx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

I have heard both positive and negative reviews of WOT.

It is a web browser plugin unless I am mistaken?

I appreciate all the help that anyone ever provides me with. Thank you to everyone that has assisted me in the past. :)

#4 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Here is another option I use for url scanning.

Zulu URL Risk Analyzer How safe is your web destination?

http://zulu.zscaler.com/

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

I hadn't used WOT for some time. But now they are just a browser addon. It used to be a webpage as well as a firefox addon. Not sure I'd use the browser addon. Therefore I personally can't recommend it any longer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

VirusTotal, a subsidiary of Google, is a free online service that analyzes files and URLs enabling the identification of viruses, worms, trojans and other kinds of malicious content detected by antivirus engines and website scanners. At the same time, it may be used as a means to detect false positives, i.e. innocuous resources detected as malicious by one or more scanners...VirusTotal...a tool that checks suspicious samples with several antivirus solutions and helps antivirus labs by forwarding them the malware they fail to detect...Very often antivirus solutions and URL scanners will produce false positives...VirusTotal simply acts as an information aggregator and cannot and will not be held responsible for these false positives. VirusTotal will not whitelist any files or URLs and will not remove any detections resulting from the normal operation of the products it makes use off. False positives should be dealt with the developer/company that offers the product generating the erroneous detection...

About VirusTotal

Jotti's malware scan is a free online service that enables you to scan suspicious files with several anti-virus programs. Scanners used are Linux versions; detection differences with Windows versions of the same scanners may occur due to implementation differences...

About Jotti Malware Scan

VirSCAN.org is a FREE on-line scan service, which checks uploaded files for malware, using antivirus engines, indicated in the VirSCAN list. On uploading files you want to be checked, you can see the result of scanning and the degree of uploaded files being dangerous...

[/url]About VirSCAN
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

URL Link Scanners:-- I recommend using several different vendors when performing queries to confirm the results of page content. Even doing this, you still need to be cautions of other links on the page itself which can redirect to a malicious page.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

As Quiteman7 said,I'll recommend using several vendors,not just one,my person favorites are :
MyWot

http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/ - Unable to HyperLink for some reason.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

I also like Webutation

You can just use the site link or download the browser extension for Chrome or add-on for Firefox

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users