Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Javascript by default?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hermesx

Hermesx

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

I've heard alot about the benefits of disabling javascript and only allowing it on certain web pages that you trust.

My question is: "Would it really benefit you that much?" I guess the con would be having to allow every page you trust to have javascript (clicking allow on every box you trust). But, what are some of the pros?

I appreciate all the help that anyone ever provides me with. Thank you to everyone that has assisted me in the past. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Java is one of those technologies that you find installed on the majority of computer systems despite the fact that average users do not come across many Java-powered websites or desktop applications...According to W3Techs, only four percent of websites use Java on the server side...it is used by 0.2 percent of all websites on the client side. And two tenths of a percent includes sites that do not use it for their core functionality...there are sites and applications that require Java, and if you use any of them, you obviously need Java. But that makes you a minority. The majority of Internet users do not need Java. They do not need the Java plugin, nor do they need the Java Runtime Environment installed on their operating system...

You don't need Java
W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage by disabling Java Plug-ins or add-ons in common web browsers.

Also make sure you are always using the most current version because older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. In fact, older unpatched versions of other popular software like Adobe (Reader, Flash Player, Shockwave Player) Apple iTunes, Quick Time, VLC Media Player all are vulnerable to exploits and require frequent updating or you increase the risk of system infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Java is one of those technologies that you find installed on the majority of computer systems despite the fact that average users do not come across many Java-powered websites or desktop applications...According to W3Techs, only four percent of websites use Java on the server side...it is used by 0.2 percent of all websites on the client side. And two tenths of a percent includes sites that do not use it for their core functionality...there are sites and applications that require Java, and if you use any of them, you obviously need Java. But that makes you a minority. The majority of Internet users do not need Java. They do not need the Java plugin, nor do they need the Java Runtime Environment installed on their operating system...

You don't need Java
W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage by disabling Java Plug-ins or add-ons in common web browsers.

Also make sure you are always using the most current version because older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. In fact, older unpatched versions of other popular software like Adobe (Reader, Flash Player, Shockwave Player) Apple iTunes, Quick Time, VLC Media Player all are vulnerable to exploits and require frequent updating or you increase the risk of system infection.

The OP said Javascript,not Java...
Edit : Maybe the OP has confused between Java and Javascript and maybe,they meant Java.  We cannot be sure unless the OP,themselves,mention either Javascript or Java

On-topic : Do you meant Java or Javascript? if Java,Quiteman is right. If Javascript. Read this article if you've any doubts about Java and Javascript. If you did mean Javascript,install NoScript Addon

Edited by Jesus H. Christ, 31 August 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

The OP said Javascript,not Java...

Indeed he did so let me readdress his question.

If you disable JavaScript, many websites won’t work properly. This is particularly true for web apps like Gmail and Google Docs, but it’s also true for other websites. Disabling JavaScript may break the ability to log in, post comments, or dynamically request content...If you disable JavaScript, you may be unable to use certain features on a website, the website may break completely, or you may use a version of the website with reduced features for users on older browsers

What Happens if You Disable JavaScript

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

Another reason to disable Java, Javascript, for general web surfing, and to enable only for trusted sites.

Hackers targeting Java native layer vulnerabilities to insert malicious code. http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2291587/hackers-targeting-java-native-layer-vulnerabilities-to-insert-malicious-code

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#6 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

Another reason to disable Java, Javascript, for general web surfing, and to enable only for trusted sites.

Hackers targeting Java native layer vulnerabilities to insert malicious code. http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2291587/hackers-targeting-java-native-layer-vulnerabilities-to-insert-malicious-code

There is a huge difference between Java and Javascript,ask quietman7 if you think I'm wrong.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

In today's date most of the websites require Javascript and will not function properly if you have disabled it.

Just have a good antivirus like avast! installed on your PC, it blocks malicious Javascript before it can do any damage.

You can also use NoScript add-on to prevent loading of malicious Javascript. The NoScript add-on can block Java and Flash too.

http://noscript.net/

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

Java is not JavaScript - tell your friends!
How is JavaScript different from Java?
JavaScript is not Java

#9 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

There is a huge difference between Java and Javascript,ask quietman7 if you think I'm wrong.

Thank you for the epiphany, guess I'm too crazy to know that Java and Javascript are different?

The topic is "Disabling Javascript by default?", I'm saying to disable both Java and Javascript by default.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

The topic is "Disabling Javascript by default?", I'm saying to disable both Java and Javascript by default.

Not a wise idea to disable Javascript (JS). It is one of the basic building blocks of most of the websites today. Most of the sites today go after the CMS model which relies heavily on JS. The forum you are using (BleepingComputer) would look naked if you disable JS on it. Google has a library called jQuery which is specially built to make most out of JS. Like all google products, jQuery is used extensively by all the modern sites.

Java on the other hand is losing popularity with websites, so you will not find many sites that require Java enabled in your browser. It is more popular with Android apps these days.

#11 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not a wise idea to disable Javascript (JS). It is one of the basic building blocks of most of the websites today. Most of the sites today go after the CMS model which relies heavily on JS. The forum you are using (BleepingComputer) would look naked if you disable JS on it. Google has a library called jQuery which is specially built to make most out of JS. Like all google products, jQuery is used extensively by all the modern sites.

Java on the other hand is losing popularity with websites, so you will not find many sites that require Java enabled in your browser. It is more popular with Android apps these days.

I reiterate, "to disable both Java and Javascript by default for general web surfing..." AND "...enable only for trusted sites."

I think Bleeping Computer = trusted site.

I also agree, use the NoScript add-on as you have posted.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

That's fine Crazy Cat...you are entitled to provide your opinion/recommendation as to what works best for you and we respect that.

However, most of the BC staff would recommend users not to disable Javascript...Java can be removed if not needed or disabled.

#13 blueicetwice

blueicetwice

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

In today's date most of the websites require Javascript and will not function properly if you have disabled it.

This has not been my experience, Romeo, as most of my time is general surfing the Internet...

Website, that are mainly text and have little visitor interaction will require no Java Script whatsoever...

On the other hand, site such as New Egg and Amazon, you can not even log on without it, much

less place an order..

I run it in the off default, unless I personally need it and with site such as Bleeping Computer run 

it on as it is a trusted website...

Crazy Cat, is certainly correct about the potential dangers with the general use of Java Script....

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

As with many things computer related...sometimes what works for one person may not work for another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users