Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatible 500GB Seagate for old HP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vindy

vindy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hello everyone. I am looking to replace the WD hard drive I have in my old HP Desktop PC with a new 500GB Seagate. I want to go with Seagate because I have been told they typically are more reliable than WD drives. I want the newest and fastest 500GB Seagate internal hard drive that will still be compatible with my old PC running Windows XP, and which is very unlikely to give me any problems when I install it and load the necessary drivers. I have read in one review of hard drives that the newer ones can cause issues with old Desktop PC computers running Windows XP. They had problems where the drive would like "disappear", and not be detected anymore. I would like to avoid those kinds of problems while still finding a decent drive with a good transfer rate that will work with my PC. Although the review I read was really good at explaining how the newer drives work and compare, it did not give much indication on which drives would work for me or how to find out which ones would be compatible with my system. If anyone could help me out with some advice I would appreciate it. My system specifications are below. Thanks in advance.

System Specs
-------------------

HP Paviliion a1630n Desktop PC
32-bit Windows XP Media Center with SP3
Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz
2 Gigs of Samsung PC2-4300 DDR2 RAM clocked at 533MHz (2 x 266MHz)
ASUSTek NODUSM3 version 1.05 motherboard with a front-side bus speed of 2.0 GT/s (~ 6.4 GB/s) or 199MHz 
500GB Western Digital SATA-300 ATA/ATAPI-7 Hard Drive  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

if the hard drive that you have is still working I wouldnt bother replacing it, I have had both WD and Seagate hard drives in the past, and had numerous of both brands fail, currently all of my drives, save one, are WD the other one is Seagate.

Either way if you insist upon getting a new one I would look for a 3Gb/s Seagate, 500GB is probably going to cost you a bit per gig (quick search finds me a Seagate for $65) you may be better off looking for a larger one (another quick search finds me a 1TB for $10 more than the 500GB).

Your system can handle up to 2TB per volume, so you are limited to 0-2TB, but you can use both the WD and the new one at the same time.

#3 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi GreenGiant. The reason I want to replace this drive isn't because it doesn't perform well or gives me problems. My foster mom's HP Desktop PC has Debian Linux on it that I installed and I want to take this old WD of mine, reformat it, and put Windows XP on it as the second volume in her HP. But before doing that I am going to pay someone to clone the WD I have in my old HP right now on to the new Seagate, do whatever trickery has to be done with changing registry settings, configurations, and drivers on the clone drive and put it into my old HP as the main volume. Actually, I can't recall if there's even another bay to put another hard drive in. But it doesn't really matter as one 450GB partition with XP on it and another 50GB partition with recovery data on it is just fine for me. I have an external 1TB Seagate that I back everything up to and store large things like movies on. The reason I want a Seagate is because my foster mom use to work on X-Ray machines and she told me that she had a number of WD drives that failed on her and that is something that never happened with the Seagate drives she bought. Although, I do think she was buying and installing old used drives as most of the X-Ray machines out there are very old and you don't need to put new drives in them. But that may say something about the longevity of the typical WD as compared to Seagate, at least when it came to the older drives they use to put out. It may not be that way anymore and in fact everyone seems to say that now WD and Seagate drives are comparable when it comes to reliability, performance, and prices. But I think I am going to buy a 500GB, or maybe a 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. That is if that particular model goes up to 1TB in size. I can't recall if it does. That's what someone else suggested on a different forum and I had already been thinking about going with that model Seagate anyway. Anyhow, thank you very much for your advice.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users