Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 not valid after 4 years??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xfuture

xfuture

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi guys,

I have run up against a rather interesting issue and I am not sure if it is hardware or software related.  It almost seems to me that there is an agent that is actively causing issues and I'll explain why.  I purchased a laptop with Windows 7 professional on it about 4 years ago.  This machine has been running great for me since then.  The laptop is running Windows 7 with an Intel i7 desktop processor, 6 GB of RAM and a mirrored 500GB system drive.  Recently there have been a series of unusual event.  The RAID utility on the computer gave me a message that the RAID had degraded and it started checking and rebuilding.  This happened a couple of times and is a pretty good argument for a hardware issue.  However, a few days after the RAID issue was repaired I got a message that my copy of windows was not genuine and asked me to resolve the issue online.  It looked pretty official but I contacted the company I got the computer from first.  Shortly after I got this message though the RAID once again showed that it was checking and rebuilding.   The company where I got the computer told me to go through the hoops and once I got to the point of entering the CD key things would be fine.  So I tried this approach but after running the validation test that they do it just took me right to an order form for Windows 7.  I know my copy is genuine since it came with the computer and it's been running fine for 4 years.  What is making me wonder if there isn't a malicious element is the fact that A) If I look in the system properties it still says windows is genuine there and there is no watermark on the desktop stating otherwise.  B) Each time I get this message the RAID utility starts again almost like malicious software is changing a file on my system and the RAID is trying to fix it.

I wanted to do a Windows update to make sure I had the latest and greatest validation software installed but Microsoft, in thier infinite wisdom has locked down Windows Update since for some reason they think the OS is not genuine.  I really don't know which way to go so I thought I would at least run it by the experts to see what my next steps should be.  Thank you in advance for anything you might be able to tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

Try this for validating Windows.

SOLVED: Windows Can’t Be Activated Right Now 0x8007232b – Windows 8 - Up & Running Technologies Calgary

1. click START (gets you to the tiles)
  2. type RUN
  3. type slui 3 and press ENTER
    1. yes, SLUI: which stands for SOFTWARE LICENSING USER INTERFACE
      1. SLUI 1 brings up the activation status window
      2. SLUI 2 brings up the activation window
      3. SLUI 3 brings up the CHANGE PRODUCT KEY window
      4. SLUI 4 brings up the CALL MICROSOFT & MANUALLY ACTIVATE window
  4. Type in your product key
  5. Have a nice day.

EDIT:

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows 7 looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom,[ or inside the battery compartment]) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (such as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Edited by buddy215, 29 August 2013 - 09:49 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users