Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ToolWiz TimeFreeze and the FBI Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 8um87833

8um87833

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have discovered that If I start ToolWiz TimeFreeze before I start my browser and then the

FBI virus or one of it's variants infects my system it has only infected the TimeFreeze

Virtual Environment and nothing else. A re-boot fully restores the system.

But the FBI virus does crap on the system in a major way and it is a major problem.

If a way to detect the thing by behavior and stop it before it starts, this would be a major

improvement. But using TimeFreeze prevented me from having to dis-infect my PC.

Steve Broshears, 8um87833 ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

It looks like a bug...not in TimeFreeze,but in the Ransomware,or 'its variants' 

it looks like your system won't be infected by it,since the virtual environment is infected by it. I'm not an expert of ToolWiz so I'm not sure about it.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

I am not sure what you mean by "But the FBI virus does crap on the system in a major way and it is a major problem.".

Does TimeFreeze stop it or not? TimeFreeze is a sandbox program so it should prevent the ransomware from affecting your system altogether.

#4 8um87833

8um87833
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

It infects only the virtual environment. It makes a mess out of your browser session. It forces you to reboot.
But other than having to reboot all is ok.

If you search for "FBI" in this forum or in others there is a lot of discussion as to how to remove this virus.

If you run ToolWiz TimeFreeze you will not have to go through the removal process. Just reboot.

Steve ...

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Yes, this method should work with all sanboxes, including ones like Sandboxie.  Agreed its a good way to safe from any infection and not just just ransomware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users