Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod, I think it may be the heat sink tell me what you think.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drlawsoniii

drlawsoniii

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi,

My girlfriend has a dell studio 1749 laptop. It has an intel I5 processor, and windows 7 64bit os. It has been crashing and giving us a clock interrupt message, I believe that it does it when it gets hot. I replaced the fan because i didnt think that it was kicking on (and because everything I read on the problem said to replace the fan). Alas, it is continuing to bsod on me citing the same clock interrupt error. I have reinstalled windows a few times so I dont believe it's an OS issue, and I have replaced the hard drives, so I think that is unlikely too. Also it seems that it only does it when i dont have my targus laptop fan under it, which makes me think it's a cooling issue.

Anyhelp would be appreciated!

Rob

Attached is a picture of the bsod.

Attached Files

• Attached File  bsod.JPG   146.7KB   7 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have a couple of suggestions. Feel the air coming out of the cooling vents, Is  the air hot?

Is the Fan really racing?

If the air coming out is not hot, Is there any hot spots that you can feel?

Link to the Dell service manual: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_studio_laptop/studio-1749_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

The reason I'm asking about the temperature of the air coming out the cooling vent is to see if the HeatPipes on the Heat sink assembly have failed.I have seen that in the past on other brands.

Since It does not do it when on the Targus, Is it possible that You are blocking the cooling air intake when it isn't on the Targus cooling Pad.

As a point of interest, I believe that the laptop should be shutting off if it overheats, not throwing a BSOD.

Is the laptop still under warranty?

I also checked Dell and they show

Dell Studio 1749 System BIOS, A08

Level of Importance:Recommended
Dell recommends applying this update during your next scheduled update cycle. The update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software).

There have been more than a couple of previous updates

A07 10/19/2010 9:06:53 PM A05 7/20/2010 10:26:16 PM A04 5/2/2010 8:59:45 PM A03 4/8/2010 5:28:42 AM A02 3/15/2010 5:05:46 AM BIOS A01, A01 2/5/2010 9:18:48

Be aware that you can Kill Your laptop with a bad (Failed) BIOS update.  What version are you running?

Good Luck with Your Problem

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

I've heard some people have resolved this same issue by disabling power management software.

You could try installing Speedfan to determine if you have a heat issue

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Or try BlueScreenView, it should give more details about the BSOD.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users