Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pci.sys error on trying to install windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dirtydumpty

dirtydumpty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

The realtek audio manager in my lenovo laptop gave me the option of a 'Microphone Boost'. When I enabled it my pc got hung and I had to shut down using the power button.
Next my winodws won't load and I get a mup.sys hang while booting windows XP in safe mode. While trying to boot normally the XP logo loads and then abnadons to re-start the process. I could not get a solution of the issue.

Exhausted after my efforts to solve this issue I tried to re-install windows XP I get the pci.sys error in blue screen. I have a SATA HDD. When I boot from the XP cd, windows starts to load the files and before reaching the screen where it is asks to repair windows or format a partition, I get the error :
'pci.sys- Address F748EOBF bsae at xxxxxxxx, Datestamp xxxxxxx'

I am okay if I lose the data on C drive but I have to save the data on the other drives.

Please help me out with either of the problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Your operating system should be on the C: drive, so your data should be ok.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dirtydumpty

dirtydumpty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

My laptop is Lenovo 3000 N100 0768 AQ1.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

The following are instructions from the manual.

To install the factory contents by using Product Recovery discs, do the following:
Note
The recovery process might take up to 2 hours.

1. Make the optical drive the first start up device in the startup sequence.

2. Insert the bootable Rescue and Recovery™ Startup disc into the optical drive, and then start the computer.

3. In the Rescue and Recovery workspace, complete the following procedure:
a. When the Rescue and Recovery workspace opens, click Continue on the Welcome window and then click Restore your system.
b. When a message about accessing a USB device is displayed, click OK.
c. In the initial window of the ″Restore your system″ wizard, select Restore my hard drive to the original factory state and click Next.
d. In the next window, select I do not want to save any files and click Next.
e. A warning opens not to turn off the computer during the recovery process. Click OK.

4. When the Product Recovery window opens, click OK.

5. The Terms and Conditions window opens, select I accept these terms and conditions and then click OK.

6. After the files necessary for the product recovery are copied from the Rescue and Recovery Startup disc to the hard drive, the system restarts automatically
and boot back into Rescue and Recovery. Remove the disc and turn off the computer.

7. Turn on the computer to continue the recovery process.

8. After you restart the computer, the computer prompts you for a supplemental Rescue and Recovery disc. If you have a supplemental Rescue and Recovery
disc, click OK and insert the supplemental disc. If you do not have a
supplemental disc, click No.

9. When prompted, insert the appropriate Product Recovery disc and then click OK. The second phase of the recovery process begins.

10. When all of the data has been copied from the last Product Recovery disc in the set, a message is displayed prompting you to restart the computer.

Remove the disc and then click Yes, then a message is displayed asking you to continue the recovery process. Click Continue to restart your computer,then the computer restarts and the third phase of the recovery process begins.

11. When the recovery process is complete, the Welcome to Microsoft® Windows® screen is displayed.  Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows setup.

Edited by dc3, 30 August 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dirtydumpty

dirtydumpty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

I have resolved the issue with the help of Hirens Boot CD which proved to be immensely useful.

I do not know how but my entire C drive had been wiped clean after the mentioned error, so I could not restore my PC. I was left with no other option than to re-install Windows. I used Hirns Boot Cd to copy my data from the system to a pen drive and then formatted windows.

The pci.sys error I was getting was because
I was trying to install XP SP1 when my PC had SP2.

Thanks for your help too

Edited by dirtydumpty, 02 September 2013 - 04:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users