Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP BSOD usbaudio.sys error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ash_mufc

ash_mufc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

I am running Windows 8 and running Windows XP SP3 on VMware player. I am connecting a Plantronics blackwire c210 usb headset to the guest machine which is windows XP. Every time I connect on i get the BSOD error:

usbaudio.sys

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

The drivers for this headset should be installed automatically as far as I am aware. I have tried Windows XP SP2 and SP3 but getting the same error. Is this issue because the host machine is Windows 8? Can someone please help me out.

Edited by hamluis, 29 August 2013 - 12:17 PM.
Moved from XP to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hi

My assumption is the issue lies with the VMware player. Using another virtual machine might probably solve your issue.

Windows 8 came with built in support for virtual machines named Hyper -V. It provides better compatibility than third party Virtual machines. To use this feature, you should have either  Win 8 Pro x64 or Enterprise x64. More info can be found in the below links.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-started-with-windows-8-client-hyper-v-the-right-way/

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2493-hyper-v-how-use-windows-8-a.html

You can also give a try to Virtualbox which is free and works fine with most machines. This is what i personally use and works fine for me.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

#3 ash_mufc

ash_mufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hi

My assumption is the issue lies with the VMware player. Using another virtual machine might probably solve your issue.

Windows 8 came with built in support for virtual machines named Hyper -V. It provides better compatibility than third party Virtual machines. To use this feature, you should have either  Win 8 Pro x64 or Enterprise x64. More info can be found in the below links.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-started-with-windows-8-client-hyper-v-the-right-way/

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2493-hyper-v-how-use-windows-8-a.html

You can also give a try to Virtualbox which is free and works fine with most machines. This is what i personally use and works fine for me.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

I have tried virtual box but getting the same issue. I have never used Hyper-v. Can that be loaded withing Windows 8? So am I able to use Windows it and XP at the same time?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi

Yes, Hyper - V can be used to to create an XP virtual machine just like VMware. Just read the guides i posted in my links.

Since the audio device is a USB one, i suggest updating the USB drivers of your machines by installing the latest chipset driver. Also make sure to connect the device in to a USB 2.0 port. USB 3.0 is often problematic.

#5 ash_mufc

ash_mufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi

Yes, Hyper - V can be used to to create an XP virtual machine just like VMware. Just read the guides i posted in my links.

Since the audio device is a USB one, i suggest updating the USB drivers of your machines by installing the latest chipset driver. Also make sure to connect the device in to a USB 2.0 port. USB 3.0 is often problematic.

Would I install the latest drivers on the Windows 8 which is the host machine? As on the XP machine as soon as I plug the headset in i get the BSOD and the machine automatically restarts.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hi

I mean updating the chipset drivers on your host machine. Please post your motherboard model name and i will try to get a download link to the latest version.

#7 ash_mufc

ash_mufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hi

I mean updating the chipset drivers on your host machine. Please post your motherboard model name and i will try to get a download link to the latest version.

I dont know the motherboard name. But i have the laptop model and service tag if that is of any use. It is a dell inspiron 15r SE 7520 laptop.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi

Please download and install the latest Intel Chipset driver. This will update the USB 2.0 drivers in your machine.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775

#9 ash_mufc

ash_mufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi

Please download and install the latest Intel Chipset driver. This will update the USB 2.0 drivers in your machine.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775

Still never worked. So decided to install Virtual Box. I got that running but now I am having issues connecting as Virtual Box does not support USB 3.0 and all my USB ports are 3.0. Is there any other option I have?

#10 ash_mufc

ash_mufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

Really need some help. I have tried attaching the headset on virtual box on  a usb 3.0 port but same problem each time. Virtual box does not even detect the usb. It shows the usb is captured but does not show up in My computer and once I choose that usb again it comes up with an error of usb is busy with a previous request. After some research it appeared to me that USB 3.0 ports are not compatible with Virtualbox. But on my laptop all of my usb ports are 3.0. However, with vmware it still comes up with the error as mentioned in the first post. Really need some urgent help.

Edited by ash_mufc, 30 August 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

Hi

I am out of ideas in this matter. Hope some other forum member experienced with virtual machines may have a solution.

Just my curiosity, why did you need USB audio support in a virtual machine so badly ?.

#12 ash_mufc

ash_mufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

Hi

I am out of ideas in this matter. Hope some other forum member experienced with virtual machines may have a solution.

Just my curiosity, why did you need USB audio support in a virtual machine so badly ?.

Becuase the software which I will be using is only compatible in Windows XP.

#13 ash_mufc

ash_mufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

Would I not be able to change my ports on laptop to a USB 2.0 as this would be compatible with virtual box? Or would I need to replace the entire motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users