Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win8 Low Memory - Virtual Memory Settings Not Saving

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Irkd

Irkd

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

My boy's desktop has a low memory warning problem that is a little different than some of the other threads I've read here.  He gets the warning when he plays SWTOR.  Task manager shows about 290 MB of memory in use during play with no leaking.  He has an SSD as the system drive with 140 GB free out of about 240 GB.  After going on the Microsoft boards, I tried to fix the problem by resetting the virtual memory settings to "automatically size paging file" and even a custom setting but the settings won't save following a restart and it always comes back saying that no virtual memory has been allocated.  The PC runs Win8 32 bit with a Core DUO E8400 and 4GB of RAM on the MB.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions/help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Try to defrag your hard drive.

#3 Irkd

Irkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Don't think you defrag an SSD.

#4 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Well, you mean the system drive is on HDD, and also have large free space. So, it may be caused by:

1.spyware/malware

2.memory leaking application

PS: Try to use system restore to fix this problem!

#5 Irkd

Irkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thank you, I'll try system restore.  To clarify, this PC has no HDD.  It has only an SSD, which is the C: Drive and which has the OS on it.  SWTOR is not leaking memory - I've checked.  I didn't see any other process leaking either.  If system restore doesn't work, I guess it must be spyware . . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users