Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up failure and issues 50% of the time HELP MEEEEEE

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

>2013
>using vista
>Shigga Digga Ding Dong

i don't have lots of money ok?

HP Pavilion dv6-1030us Entertainment Notebook PC 

so the issue is that over 50% of the times i try to start up my computer (from a completely shut-down state) all i get is a black yet clearly powered on screen. the black screen comes before i log in, before i ever get to put my password in the first place.

pressing the power button causes the computer to instantly shut down, and when i start it back up it has a chance of having the same thing happen again, or hopefully giving me the ability to put in the password.

the computer works perfectly well once its actually let me in.

ran start up repair, told me "it couldn't fix it automatically" and gave me a list of random completed tasks and errors that it said didn't know where they originated from.

NOW: i know there is nothing wrong with my computer because it works great, now that i am actually using it, and i have enough experience to know that my computer has the habit of "thinking" that it has a problem when in truth it does not.  a good example of this (completely unrelated to the issue i am having) is that sometimes it thinks the mouse or usb drive isn't working, until i turn it off and make it forget that it had an issue before they start working again.

my computer just can not stop remembering that it has problems that it simply does not have.

with how strange this all is, i have no idea if its a hardware or software problem.

i do believe that in the past i have had this problem before (multiple times in the past before my computer eventually tore itself apart and became catastrophically unstable) and have fixed it each time by factory refreshing it, which is very annoying and difficult.    every time i factory refresh it, works fine for a few years and then has similar problems again.

>inb4 every response some anon thinking they are smart to just "factory refresh again"
i really don't want to factory refresh again.  besides that its incredibly annoying setting my computer back up to the comfort zone i have finally achieved, it ALWAYS demands to install a ridiculous amount of updates (security updates) and probably updates that may themselves have caused my computer to get these problems in the first place

i want to know how to fix this problem ONCE and for all.

maybe its micro$oft forcing built in obsolescence on my machine because they want me to buy the xbox one?

how do i make my computer successfully start up, consistently every single time?Attached File  426435453.jpg   75.83KB   6 downloads Attached File  653654634.jpg   34.15KB   6 downloads Attached File  67637427.jpg   102.14KB   6 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

help?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

These instructions apply to both Windows Vista and Windows 7.

If your have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc start with step 2.

Step 1.  Create a Windows Vista or Windows 7 Recovery disc.

Download a legal Windows Vista Recovery ISO image here

Download a legal Windows 7 Recoverry ISO image here.

You will need to burn the ISO file to a CD or DVD, please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert a blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable disc.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Step 2.  Place the disc you created in the tray of your CD/DVD drive, close it and reboot the computer.  

Notice:  You may need change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD drive the first device.

At the first screen click on Repair your computer.  

mbr1_zpsf211e4dc.png

When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box,click on Next.

mbr2222_zps83e3f604.png

The next screen will be the System Recovery Options, select Command Prompt.

mbr3_zps77e59401.png

In the Command Prompt copy and paste or type bootrec /FixMbr and then press Enter.  If you type this in please notice the space between bootrec and /FixMbr.

To finish type Exit and press Enter.  Restart your computer.

Edited by dc3, 31 August 2013 - 08:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

whoa um....  i don't know how to do this....   i don't know how to change the boot order in bios....

do you have a much more simple solution please?

all i need to get my computer to realize is that i want it to "start windows normally"   because when i start up, it doesn't load, then i shut down and start up again, it gives me the option to launch startup repair or start windows normally,    if i had a button that always loaded right in the beginning for "start windows normally" 

or start windows normally automatically every time, i think it would be fixed.....

im not sure if i can burn disks with my laptop.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Computers are not sentient, as least not yet, so you aren't going to make yours realize anything.

I realize that creating the recovery disc and making the repair may seem daunting, so if you aren't comfortable doing this we will have to use another means of repairing this computer.

The repair suggested above will not effect your data, this is why I suggested that method.  The factory recovery outlined below will return the computer to the condition it came out of the box, this means that you will lose all of you data that has been added since the computer was first started.  If you are going to do the factory recovery you should back up all of your important data to an external media source, such as CDs, DVDs, an external hdd, or a flash drive.  

If this model came with a SSD (Solid State Drive) there will not be a second partition to do a factory recovery and should have come with a set of recovery discs.

If this came with a HDD (Hard Disc Drive) there will be a second partition on the hdd to do a factory recovery.  This is accessed by tapping the F11 key immediately after pressing the power button.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

im just kind of looking for a way to... well.

you know when you shut down a computer REALLY fast, and start it up again it asks if you would like to start windows "normally" ?

if i could simply TELL it to start normally somehow each time, (or automatically)  then im sure it would start up just fine every single time.

thanks for the help so far :)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Are you using the power button to turn off your computer rather than using the normal shut down process in the start menu?  

This is known as hard shutdown.  This can damage the Vista operating system, to make sure that this hasn't happened please do the following.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no problem in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

#8 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Are you using the power button to turn off your computer rather than using the normal shut down process in the start menu?  

This is known as hard shutdown.  This can damage the Vista operating system, to make sure that this hasn't happened please do the following.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no problem in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

thanks i will try this :)   lets see how it turns out, when i do it (soon agghh bathrooom)

edit: starting it now

ALSO I NOTICED,   there is command prompt AND cmd!!! wow 2 different things!??!!?

edit: OKAY... so this is what i got..........

also i don't understand what you meant by "If the scan finds no problem in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan."

Attached Files

Edited by HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, 02 September 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

When you make a new post I receive a notice of it, but if you edit your post there is no notice sent to me.  Because of this I wasn't aware of the edits in your last post until I checked this topic.  Please make new posts if you have questions or are replying with results.

The sfc scan did find corrupted files, but was not able to fix some of them.  Sometimes it takes several scans with sfc to fix all the corrupted files, try running it again two more times with a reboot between each scan.

ALSO I NOTICED,   there is command prompt AND cmd!!! wow 2 different things!??!!?

If you type cmd in the search box this will open the Command Prompt as see in the image in my post.

#10 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

ok, i will try again a few more times. thanks :)

i do notice that command and cmd bring up two different menus.... ??

(results, eventually)

#11 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

i have done it many times, and turned the computer on and off many times, it keeps saying the same thing... what should i do?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

We can try one more scan, this will be chkdsk /r.

Type cmd in the Search box.  

When the Command Prompt opens type in chkdsk /r  Please notice the pace between chkdsk and the /r .

If this doesn't help we are going to need to do what I suggested in my first post in this topic.  Do you have a friend who is computer literate enough to help you do this?

#13 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

i noticed a space in SFC(SPACE)/scannow  now that you mention it... i have not been using a space...  BUT it has been scanning.  have i even done sfc(space)/scannow correctly if it gave me the results it did?  im just checking before i go any further haha..... O_O      

also, im not exactly illiterate in computers.... not like some of my family members HOHO WOW... don't get me started lol.....  but i am noobish in some things.

jusy saying.

but should i try sfc /scannow again (with a space) or does it not matter either way, because it seems to have been ok, but now im unsure.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Yes, do it again.

#15 HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HELPMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

ok. this post is to let you know that i am in fact doing the sfc /scannow again WITH a space.

next post will tell you what happened. thanks so far :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users