Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nguyentbrandon

nguyentbrandon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi I recently started up my desktop and suddenly it was a black screen with only the cursor. There was nothing I can do, can't get into task manager or anything. I tried going into repairs during the startup and tried system restore and the others but no go. Safemode does not work either same black screen issue. We tried putting in a Vista upgrade disk in but after you click on install vista, I recieve a message stating "A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB, please insert it now." I was about to try and download the driver from the hp site and put it in the usb, but I believe I need to have the files in the usb not the setup.exe.

Any help is much appreciated!

Computer:

HP Pavilion Elite m9715f

Windows Vista home premium x64

8 GB

AMD Phenom x4 9650 Processor

750 GB Hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

One option would be to try to do a System Restore from the System Recovery Options.  The instructions below you will create a bootable recovery disc which will eventually take you to the System Recovery Options which includes System Restore.  Disregard the instruction for the Command Prompt, that is for a different issue.

These instructions apply to both Windows Vista and Windows 7.

If your have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc start with step 2.

Step 1.  Create a Windows Vista or Windows 7 Recovery disc.

Download a legal Windows Vista Recovery ISO image here

Download a legal Windows 7 Recoverry ISO image here.

You will need to burn the ISO file to a CD or DVD, please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert a blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable disc.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Step 2.  Place the disc you created in the tray of your CD/DVD drive, close it and reboot the computer.  

Notice:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD drive the first device.

At the first screen click on Repair your computer.  

mbr1_zpsf211e4dc.png

When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box,click on Next.

mbr2222_zps83e3f604.png

The next screen will be the System Recovery Options, select Command Prompt.

mbr3_zps77e59401.png

In the Command Prompt copy and paste or type bootrec /FixMbr and then press Enter.  If you type this in please notice the space between bootrec and /FixMbr.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users