Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet can't connect to a valid IP configuration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Petal1635

Petal1635

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have a 2 week old Windows 8 Gateway PC that is wired to the internet through the Ethernet card and I have a wireless router connected too for my laptop and tablet.  It's been working perfect for 2 weeks and so has my wireless on my laptop and tablet. Today I moved some things in the room and had to unplug everything. I put it all back the same and now only my wireless works on my laptop and tablet. The PC is showing limited access and when I run the diagnostics it says "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" error message.

I have unplugged the wireless and connected the cable modem directly to the PC and it works fine. As soon as I route it through the wireless router it fails. Please I don't understand how I unplugged everything for only a few hours and then reconnected it exactly the same and now it doesn't work. I tried all 4 ports on the router, still nothing, I reset the TCI/IP, renewed the DNS, flushed the DNS, did a handstand, shook hands with a bear, ( so obviously I have done all the basics and more) I changed cords between router and cable, even so how come my wireless still works fine? There is nothing wrong with the antivirus, I don't have any viruses or malware, the computer hardly gets used, but today it won't suddenly work. Please, any suggestions. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

:welcome: Petal1635 to Bleeping Computer!

Have you tried reinstalling the wireless adapter driver?

With a working internet connection and usb flash drive, download and transfer the program and logs on your next reply.

Download MiniToolBox and open/run the program.
When open, checkmark or select all options then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Make sure the wireless is on before running Minitoolbox.

Tekken

#3 Petal1635

Petal1635
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thank you I have resolved the issue. I turned everything off, powered on my modem and router first and let them obtain new IP addresses and then turned on the main PC and it created a new network and worked instantly. I remember someone mentioning it made a difference how you cycled on your hardware and I happened to see it in another forum to remind me. Anyway it was a simple fix that caused a big headache, now if it was all that easy... :thumbup2:

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for posting back your solution.:)

Tekken

#5 peachyrose

peachyrose

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thank you I have resolved the issue. I turned everything off, powered on my modem and router first and let them obtain new IP addresses and then turned on the main PC and it created a new network and worked instantly. I remember someone mentioning it made a difference how you cycled on your hardware and I happened to see it in another forum to remind me. Anyway it was a simple fix that caused a big headache, now if it was all that easy... :thumbup2:

Well you said you were able to obtain new IP Addresses, does it mean that you have more than one? I have a router and  desktop, tablets and laptop but I only got one IP Address. I am confused on this one please enlightened me. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users