Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't you find USB printer ports in Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 windows7nightmare

windows7nightmare

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

I'm trying to hook up a nightmare LP2844 zebra printer to my Dell Inspiron running 7. When I go to printer properties and go to ports it always defaults to Com port or safe as file port. THERE are NO USB ports available in list. For 3 days I've been trying to find out why or to add it. No luck. Techs say that USB is virtual on 7 but if that's the case, my printer would work. It will not detect the printer and when I print under any other port it does nothing, but if I choose Com it spools and just says error under printing dialogue box. But without being able to select a USB port, I don't know where to start. Its a Zebra 2844 refurbished USB label printer. Hope somebody can help. My computer is a Dell 64 Inspiron using 7.

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

http://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/desktop/lp-2824.html

Did you download/install/setup the printer in accordance with the two downloads listed for Win 7?

Louis

#3 windows7nightmare

windows7nightmare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm not sure what this means. But I have a driver disc. I used the Seagull disc and selected 2844 and successfully put driver on and got printer loaded in printers window. I have tried every combination of plug back in, power back on, etc. But the big problem is that when I look in Ports I can't find a USB port listed.

#4 Simply_Michael

Simply_Michael

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

Have you installed the driver of your printer properly?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm not sure what this means. But I have a driver disc.

Hamluis is inquiring whether you have tried obtaining the latest driver from Zebra rather than an unknown factor of what driver may be actually on the disc from Seagull. (e.g. Seagull support a 2844 as an LP2844 or TLP2844 branded both Eltron and Zebra. If you get the exact driver from Zebra that will eliminate wrong driver as a cause.)

The link should be:

http://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/desktop/lp-2844.html

Also, since it is a refurbished unit, has it otherwise been proven to work? eg on another computer? It may simply be faulty.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 windows7nightmare

windows7nightmare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

I tried to install the actual Zebra driver from the site, but it conflicted with the Seagull disc. I didn't want to remove all the Seagull stuff from the hd, but maybe I have to do that. I was told to use Seagull and not OEM drivers for Windows 7.

My real concern again, as a lot of people online have, is why in 7 you can't find a USB port when you search the printer properties port tab. Some people are able to find them or add them, others don't have them. Its really confusing why the USB ports would not be selectable. If they're virtual, it would seem like the computer would not auto select wrong ports like Com and Print to File.

So I'd like to be able to see the port. I'll try the Zebra driver and see what happens.

#7 windows7nightmare

windows7nightmare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Still doing it. I downloaded the Zebra software and got rid of Seagull. As I thought, the same problem. With Zebra (not sure why it is now branded ZDesigner, but I assume because that is the working driver) I get a different Printer Properties window. I select port tab and what is checked is LPT1. Of course that is way off. There is no USB option in the field. My main problem is that no USB ports are available to select or use. This is a USB printer. I've talked to local techs, and they swear that in 7 there should be USB01, 02, 03 available. I have three USB ports on my computer. There are no other printer ports. So I guess as always I'm screwed with this printer and I don't know how else to print labels.

#8 windows7nightmare

windows7nightmare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

And yes the printer was tested on another computer. But I was not present. So I guess they might have lied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users