Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE HELP! Network discovery keeps shutting off and Cannot Leave Homegroup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zoranaw

zoranaw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I really need help!  My daughter uses her laptop for schoolwork and she is unable to print to our network printer.  I realized that her sharing options/network discovery were turned off.  I set the sharing and discovery options to on, but when I go back in to check it is back off again.  So I looked at her homegroup settings and thought that maybe I could have her leave the homegroup and then rejoin and that would fix things.  However, she also cannot leave her homegroup.  It keeps saying windows cannot remove you from this homegroup.  I then looked at her wifi properties under sharing and checked allow other network users to connect through this connection, but it says the specified does not exist as an installed service.  I am unsure of what else to do.  PLEASE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

The WiFi sharing option is to share an Internet connection with another device. It should be off by default unless the laptop is sharing its internet connection. Make sure the network connection type listed in Network and sharing center is set to Home/Work and not public. Being set to public will turn off network discovery and file and printer sharing. Let me know what you find.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users