Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet PC only, what do I buy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

So my girlfriend and I are looking to dump our expensive cable package and go with an Internet-only package, which would save us upwards of $50/mo. However, there are certain things (sports, in particular) that I want to be able to watch. My parents have a really high-end cable package through XFinity, and I can sign in to their account and watch most of what I want, so I'm all set there.

Anyway, the crux of it is that I want to get a PC that I could hook up to my plasma TV and watch streaming video from the xfinity site, as well as watchESPN, Netflix, etc. I have a receiver that I run everything through, so something with native HDMI seems preferable. I need something that will work with my bluetooth keyboard/mouse, but I feel like that's anything with USB input. Other than that, I can't think of anything specific I need it to be able to do. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by TheyCallMeBruce, 28 August 2013 - 08:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hi, do you have budget for this PC?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Basically, the lower the better.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

The Asus F502CA-EB91 has a native HDMI port and can stream your sport contents with ease. The only downside with this laptop is the optical drive was not included due to the slimness of the chassis, but at the moment, Asus is offering a free external optical disc drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Better yet you can get a netbook and use something like Chromecast, it may not be pretty (in the sense that it wont have that great resolution for a screen throw) but it should work.

I would just look into something like Chromecast/AppleTV/Roku first, you may be able to get a barebones computer for 2-300, or potentially borrow one for a little bit then just use smartphones/tablets

#6 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

I recommend a chromebook, they are super cheap and speedy for internet stuff, chomecast also works too.  I think they're $35 at the moment, but I'm not sure if it Bluetooth compatible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users