Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Write to NTFS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nick10213

Nick10213

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Please tell me if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

I have a situation where I need to write Mac files to an NTFS formatted external drive.  Our school issues laptops to its students, giving the option of Dell or Mac.  They are now upgrading everyone's computers we received 2 years ago, and generously gave everyone four days to back their files up and switch to the newer model of their chosen brand.  I have a Dell with an external drive that I'm using, but I also have a friend with a Mac (OS Lion) who wants to back his data up on my drive.  Reformatting to compatible file types are not an option, as I'm being helped over in virus support and have made a ddrescue image of my hard drive; it is physically failing.  My short research and complete lack of Mac knowledge leads me to believe that anything after OS X will not work with NTFS-3G as a "translator."  Is there a real solution to this, or should does he just need to get his own drive/find a Mac user with backup space available?

Edited by Nick10213, 27 August 2013 - 08:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

OSX Lion and Mountain Lion each has a built in support for NTFS formatted drives but, it is not enabled by default. 

Also there are 3rd party software that will enable a Mac to write to NTFS formatted drives.

Fuse for OS X

NTFS for Mac OS X 10

Tuxera NTFS for Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users