Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to update via software installers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cliftz

cliftz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

The computer is using IE9x64 and Win7 x64.

Unable to download via various installers (hence, unable to install various products or they're partially installed) in order to update them,e.g., Google Chrome and Earth, Spybot [couldn't update it definitions], Malwarebytes [couldn't update it's definitions] will not update,as well as several other software products. Tho' Hitman pro was able to update it's definitions.

Each claiming unable to connect to internet or servers. Meanwhile, there is a successful internet connection using IE and surfing is accurate and normal. The Windows Firewall looks to explicitly allow these products<p>I think the RPC file is missing tho' the RPC locator is present and the service is turned on.

The OS install of Windows 7 looks to be legit, but he doesn't have an install disk. Said the OS was on the laptop when he got it

Meanwhile, in the case of the Google products a server check was successful not using the installers. I followed directions Google proferred, but to no avail.

Windows Update is successfully downloading and installing identical updates every time I power off.

This is not my laptop. A friend bought it over today and asked me to look at it. I did. I don't know why this is happening and before I jump in, I'd like to query you folks. My friend said he had a lot (pver 14000 I believe he said) of virus', trojans and malware and his son was 'messing about'. My friend would like to have it 'fixed' before he starts school in 7 days or so.

This is being posted from my computer.

Thank you

-------------I'm on the laptop now. Here's a Speccy and attached a MTB Result.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zGbNVwZHVetbA72tka2LoFv

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2013 - 06:29 PM.
Removed formatting, moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

My friend said he had a lot (pver 14000 I believe he said) of virus', trojans and malware

This sounds like a 'scareware' report. I think the best thing for you to do is to start a thread in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC, but this may take a day or two. The fact that your anti-virus (Microsoft Security Essentials) is disabled and you cannot update either Malwarebytes or Spybot are symptoms of infection as well.

You could try to see if the computer will boot into 'Safe mode' (normally press the F8 key at the boot screen). Choose 'Safe mode with networking' and see if Malwarebytes will update and run in safe mode. It will normally. If it doesn't, definitely post in 'Am  I infected?'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cliftz

cliftz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Thank you Chris. I lost my internet connection at home...so I can't post. At work right now.

Haven't been able to find anything of note there were PUPS, alot of adware, two trojans...since I've had the laptop.

They did a pretty good cleaning. I'm trying to get the written logs. He wrote every thing down.

I think the current set of affairs is a result of the malware and the subsequent cleaning.. There seems to be almost a dozen system files MIA and some services seem to have been restricted...

anyway, gotta go.

Thanks again.

oh, I turned the windows protection off while I was snooping around. I can get into Safe Mode with Networking. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users