Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is this?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 new14m3

new14m3

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

The time stamp on it reads february 2013.It is located over my processor I believe & ...is it just the fan?

I bought this puter in 2011 & have only replaced memory in it. I need some help in securing this puter as I guess I am unable to secure my home from whoever is coming in when I am not here, but thats not your problem. I have changed passwords after passwords, security settings stopped services in the services box as well as regedit....I am at a losss people... How do I make this computer MINE. I have a systems pass, they put a setup pass on so I cant change it. I change my admin pass all the time. come home & secondary logon is back on telnet, terminal services & I have 5-8 programs that have been freshly installed that I KNOW I installed months ago....I know Im in the wrong section but I am at my wits ends. Please direct me to some help PLEASE

Attached Files

Edited by new14m3, 27 August 2013 - 05:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

I imagine the time stamp you are asking bout is for the fan on the heat sink for the processor but someone else would now know more than me

However, you want to focus on how to make your computer yours

--- I believe it's possible to do so

Do you have the computer discs to reinstall your system?

--- If not get them from the manufacturer in case you need to do a reinstall; the computer is only 2 years old so they should be available

They put a setup password

--- There are password recovery programs available. I don't have a recommended one but I'm sure someone else does

As far as someone coming in to use your computer, can you move the computer to a different room and lock it up or get your computer to a relative or friends house while you try to get back ownership on your computer?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

This may be drastic, but should work :

1    Back up all your personal data

2    So long as you have an MS authentication number, if you don't have a Win 7 install disc borrow one from somebody and do a clean re-install. You will have to re-install all your applications but this should turn the computer over to you.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 new14m3

new14m3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

I used to have several XP discs but they disappeared....I was left with only my dell install of XP & did that a cpl months ago. when things started to go wrong I tried to do a scan now with that disk & it said that was NOT the disk used to install.It was the ONLY disk I had!...so..I tried to do clean install again & one of the dlls was corrupt & it wouldnt even load setup so I am left with only windows 7 disk I have but this puter has no DVD rom. I will try & see if it will fit on a CD but doubt it...if nothing else maybe ican connect one of my DVD roms for a short period just to do the install?...idk

I have reformatted approx 5-7 times this year already trying to correct this lil prob. But they seem to be doing the same thing as well as I dont have a few of my folders in My Docs or My pics that i never had the chance to back up to CD.

Are you saying windows 7 is more secure?

I need to move...

TY for your help

Edited by new14m3, 27 August 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

It appears you have a Dell desktop computer

--- May I assume the original OS is XP Home Edition?

------ When you did an install a couple of months ago, do you know the product id for the disc that worked at that time?

--- You have an XP CD disc (is it for XP Home Edition) but it isn’t the one for your computer

------ On this XP CD disc, do you know the product id for this disc?

Run www.Belarc.com to generate a simple report of your computer specs, scroll down to the Software Licenses section and find the product id for your OS in the list

--- When you identify the product ID, go to http://www.restoredisks.com/. After reading the information, call them, let them know your make/model or whatever information they need so you can order their install disc but note that you will need the correct product id for your computer’s OS. They state that you will need the product key sticker on the side of your tower so have that number ready. That is why I recommend you call them so you can ensure you are providing them with the right number. This is a pretty inexpensive option. I haven’t used them yet but I would check them out if I had to.

--- You could also contact Dell to see if it’s still possible to get the original disc(s) (both system & driver discs) from them but compare their price to the restore disks website if you decide to check this out

Please note that the intent here is to completely restore your xp computer

You do have a Windows 7 disk; is it an upgrade or an install disc?

Run Windows 7 upgrade advisor to decide if you want to check this option

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Afterward take the steps necessary for you to have your computer be YOURS.

I hope this helps

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

To ASSUME is to make an ASS of U and ME.

My apologies, when you said you bought this computer in 2011, I assumed it was new at that point and therefore would be running Win 7.

As I understand it, you can do a legal re-install of XP so long as you use the correct install disc for the version you have on the computer, and you have a valid authentication number for your present install. You may be able to borrow an install disc from someone. Failing that, try Larry's suggestions about sourcing discs. However, you didn't say in your original post that the computer is a Dell, merely that you had a Dell disc !

If it is a Dell, they are the obvious place to seek repair discs, they will also have all the necessary drivers.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Take the power lead with you when you go out.

or

install a trip switch/additional power button on the machine that only you know the location of. (or even on the monitor or on the video lead)

or

You could encrypt your entire operating system and drive... Truecrypt will do this for free. This will stop all but talented hackers from accessing your system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone has physical access to your machine and they know what they are doing you cannot stop them. There is no way to secure it, at all.

#8 new14m3

new14m3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Take the power lead with you when you go out.

or

install a trip switch/additional power button on the machine that only you know the location of. (or even on the monitor or on the video lead)

or

You could encrypt your entire operating system and drive... Truecrypt will do this for free. This will stop all but talented hackers from accessing your system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone has physical access to your machine and they know what they are doing you cannot stop them. There is no way to secure it, at all.

sigh....kinda what I thought & this seems to be my problem...becuz if they are able to do what they have been doing then Im thinking they will get by that program as well...tyvm...

& TY to the others as well! I have XP pro & I used the Dell install disk that came with another old dell I had bought clear back in 2007, but its saying that is not the disk & also it is now corrupt as I left it on the counter...I WAS keepiong it with me inm y purse & it was safe I could use it, but its corrupt now it says , i tried to do a repair & it souldnt load set up...

I think maybe my issues are more in home security than my puter at this point...ty vm for all your help

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

I think we need to double check the goals here

One of them is you want get back control of your PC

--- Can you move the computer to a safe location so that the intruder cannot get to it anymore so you can work on getting control of your computer without further intrusions?

Wait a minute, this can be very important:

--- If you remove the MB battery and reinstall it after a 5 or 10 minutes, that might clear the setup password which hopefully help you move on with following projects. 

--- Another thing that might work is to jumper your BIOS settings on the MB and then return the jumper settings afterward  back to where they belong . It's been a long time since I have done that so I'd have to review the correct way to do so

--- Ask for help on this if the MB battery idea doesn't work

--- Someone else can certainly chime in on that but I think it will reset your BIOS to its defaults

Here are more ideas to consider which I had typed in before thinking of the MB battery and/or jumper settings and I really don't want to remove what I've already typed in

Can you get into Safe Mode?

--- If so you can remove any other users on your computer but make sure you assign a very strong password to each of your accounts: your Safe Mode Administrator account and your log on account

--- Have you checked out any password finder programs?

------ I don't know whether or not it will help find the setup password, but then the choice you need to make is just get into reinstalling your complete system, but as already noted you will need to reinstall all updates and applications

Another one is you don't have the correct discs to attempt a repair or reinstall your OS

--- Have you contacted Dell about getting the exact disc(s) for your computer?

--- You can also go to their website and download the correct drivers for your unit

--- That's the first option I would try

Run www.belarc.com to get the report of your computer so you will have pertinent numbers available and print out the report just in case you need such info in the middle of doing some thing

Get the numbers on the tower, side back wherever they are

Dell should be able to help you

--- See if you go on-line to order the disc(s). I'd say in todays world it should be somewhere between $20.00 - $30.00 

--- If you can't you can try sales but it will cost more but if you need to do something to get back control of your computrt

Whatever other disc(s) you have, label what they are for or what you think they are for if you want to keep them or get rid of them

You can always contact www.restoredisks.com to see if they can help you

You did not have a chance to back up some My Docs or My pics items to CD

--- Not knowing how far back this issue goes, have you tried System Restore?

--- Consider www.recuva.com I haven't had to use it but if you want to try it, ask for help

--- If neither of those ideas are good for you, you will have to move on to get your other projects done

Finally you mention that you think you have security issues and that certainly can be so 

--- But if you need to wrestle control from someone else that should take first priority

--- Without being able to clean out their passwords and user accounts your solution is pretty limited: reinstall with the correct Dell discs(s) etc

#10 new14m3

new14m3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Thats basically what I have been doing lately, going into safe mode & doing a restore to a point i created AFTER i set things straight. I back up regularly but just had not in like a cpl months so thats how THEY missed putting back new folders & files that no one but who created them would know they were gone...moi... *bows lol & I have also learned NOT to back up on RW CDs....lol sigh

I see no other accounts but what MS sets up with, I mean besides mine & Im thinking the battery idea sounds good & I will do some googling to learn more tyvm, then I can change that pw...awesome

Got the true crypt but need to read more on it as Im just unsure how to use it.*note to self..."read the directions"!

I have been out of work for 2mos, just got back to work this week but got my eviction notice this week as well, comcast shut me off for $20.47last week lol so thats why I disappeared for a min, got it on this morn...sigh

Funds arent available for the puter right now is what Im trying to say...its a process! gotta climb outta this hole first get my rent paid so I aint homeless!...hate to strap this desktop on my back & look for free wifi...;)

But lotsa wonderful ideas tyvm, I do have a password reset prog but it doesnt do the setup pass  & I have wrote the service code down from the back. Jumpers on the MB?....uhm...HD I know MB...no idea lol

It just amazes me how many bored people are out there that they hafta mess with others to get their jollies...

but then ...everything has balance...we have wonderful forums online with GOOD people willing to help those in need...

Aint God Grand!!!?

TY

Hey...how bout a prog I can use my cam & take a pic & upload it online somewhere, not just save to my puter so it can be deleted...???

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Seriously, use Truecrypt...

It will put a password on the entire hard drive and OS. So unless you give the person the password they cannot start Windows, unless they are a decent hacker.

Also, use a good password, this is key. The best way to make a good password is use a phrase.

For example: "I don't want to let anyone use my machine anymore!"

which will translate to: Idw2lne1ummNEm!

using the first letters, and a little creativity. Easy to remember and rock solid.

I spend most of my waking hours dealing with computers, and if i came across a machine that was encrypted like this there is no way in the world I would spend the many weeks of attention required to possibly open it. It is just simply not worth it. I assume your problem doesn't have my experience though, and would just find it simply impossible.

Edited by TsVk!, 31 August 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Finally you mention that you think you have security issues and that certainly can be so 

--- But if you need to wrestle control from someone else that should take first priority

--- Without being able to clean out their passwords and user accounts your solution is pretty limited: reinstall with the correct Dell discs(s) etc

I agree it should be first priority, but changing passwords is pointless if they have physical access to the machine. Windows passwords are just a deterrent, not a real security feature. Reinstalling is pointless also, they will just take over again. You don't even have to be an experienced hacker to access Windows, there are several automated password retrieval programs freely available, and numerous easy to do hacks that a basic user could do following a step by step procedure.

Once you have control of the machine it is irrelevant if they have any Windows passwords on there, as they cannot start the OS. Key point.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'd like to review the password explanations again because after your last message maybe resetting the BIOS isn't the solution although it won't hurt to try

However I agree with the Truecrypt idea

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

TsVk! you are correct. I hope new14m3 can get to use Truecrypt since it's certainly a better system than going through evrything else. 

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

yeah, resetting the BIOS is folly. Don't do it.

password examples

I like to make REALLY STRONG passwords, My dog ate my homework.  =  Il2mRSpw,Md8mhw.

You stinky little bastard! You are less than a dog.  =  Uslb!Ur<ad.

When you create a great password make it easy to remember.  =  Wucagr8pwmie2r.

edit: run these passwords through any online strength tester to see results. Basically uncrackable.

Edited by TsVk!, 31 August 2013 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users