Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Columns

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 234454

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hello! I'd be most grateful if somebody could advise me on the following issue about columns, in Microsoft Word 7. I am currently using a Mac but have also had this problem on non-Mac computers:

I am writing a document which mainly comprises un-columned paragraphs (i.e. standard blocks of text as in this message). But every so often I need to insert columns of information. So I will have: 1) a block of un-columned text; 2) two columns (song-lyrics on one side and their translation on the other); 3) then the standard un-columned block of text again.  This usually works fine.

When I add more un-columned text, the columns often move to the next page and lose their alignment.  I have resolved this by splitting the columns between the two pages and then re-aligning them.

But the problem arises if I have to do that process of re-alignment again (i.e. if I keep adding more text before the columns). In that situation, the columns jump to the next page, leaving a huge blank space between the end of the un-columned text and the start of the column on the following page.  The gap does not allow me to write anything in it, and if I try to eliminate it by using the back-space, all of the previous un-columned text becomes columned, while the original columns misalign themselves even more.

Even if I try to paste the columns into a new word document, change them into a single column, change them back into columns, and finally re-paste them onto the original document, the same thing happens.  Sometimes, though, after I have changed the columns into a single column, it's impossible to change them back into two columns.

I know that I haven't selected any 'page break' features (unless this is a default setting on the several computers I have used).  Usually, I just resort to re-typing the columns, which is of course very time-consuming. Any advice on why this is happening and how to resolve it would be most appreciated!

With thanks in advance,

Charles

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 August 2013 - 04:31 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

I always had problems with columns, similar to what you're experiencing.  For me, the easiest solution was to use a two-column table instead.  There is zero possibility of misalignment, and if you remove all the table borders, you can't tell it's not text columns.

There are, I'm sure, other ways to do what you want.  But I am retired and no longer have access to Word to check them out.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

I do not know which version of Office / Word 7 on a Mac equates to in the Windows versions, but I am running Office 2003 on my computer, and I agree, columns in Word is a pain.  I can think of two other possible solutions apart from the tables suggested by md2lgyk.

One is to use text boxes ( Insert / Text box ). You can set up two side by side, or if you prefer, set up one to the size you want and copy / paste to get a second identical one.

The other suggestion is, if you have a full installation of MS Office, would you consider using Publisher ?  It is much better than Word at handling columns.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 234454

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hello Chris and md2lgyk,

Many thanks to both for your very helpful comments! I shall follow your advice and skip the column function altogether by using the functions that you suggest.

Regards,

Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users