Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage constantly at 100%, navigating gets incredibly slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KGthaKid

KGthaKid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop that's been in use since 2006 (was originally my brother's, but I've used it after a hard drive reformatting since 2010).  I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3 with about 2-3 GB of free space on the hard drive and 1.49 GB of RAM (I don't really have the rest of the specs available at the moment, since I'm using a different computer right now).  

I normally browse with Google Chrome, and at times I have as many as 10-15 tabs open at once, but now I'm only have three (and usually I open Chrome's Task Manager and kill some of the tabs I'm not using).  Browsing the Internet with Chrome or Firefox while navigating Windows Explorer has never been problematic until some time recently (about a month or so ago), when I've had to either shut down/restart, hibernate, or leave the computer idle for several minutes for it to run somewhat smoothly again for a while, before it goes back to being slow.  This is especially noticeable when I'm watching Flash videos, because I often feel like I need to stop and restart the video with hopes of watching it smoothly, but it continues to be choppy, and even scrolling up and down while browsing the Internet gets troublesome.

I've already disabled Pepper Flash and a few other Chrome plugins that I'm not using, and the only extension I'm using for Chrome is AdBlock Plus.  I've also installed an older Flash player on the computer, but that didn't help.  I've run Spybot Search and Destroy and removed what came up.  I've used CCleaner a few times as well, and I've updated and run Malwarebytes again, but nothing has come up.  Could all of this be a product of age, or can something be fixed?  I've already decided that I want to get a new laptop soon, but barring an out-and-out emergency, I'd like to wait just a little longer before I make that move.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

You don't have enough free space on the Windows partition.

You need to reflect approx 15% of the Windows partition as free space.

My suggestion would be remove all video files/games from the C: partition to either another partition or other storage media.

Once you have provided at least the minimum free space percentage...run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.  Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.  Reboot...the command will execute...upon completion, the system will boot into Windows.

A potentially useful tool for finding your largest files:  WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html .

Louis

#3 Guest_Wolf2674_*

Guest_Wolf2674_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop that's been in use since 2006 (was originally my brother's, but I've used it after a hard drive reformatting since 2010).  I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3 with about 2-3 GB of free space on the hard drive and 1.49 GB of RAM (I don't really have the rest of the specs available at the moment, since I'm using a different computer right now).  

I normally browse with Google Chrome, and at times I have as many as 10-15 tabs open at once, but now I'm only have three (and usually I open Chrome's Task Manager and kill some of the tabs I'm not using).  Browsing the Internet with Chrome or Firefox while navigating Windows Explorer has never been problematic until some time recently (about a month or so ago), when I've had to either shut down/restart, hibernate, or leave the computer idle for several minutes for it to run somewhat smoothly again for a while, before it goes back to being slow.  This is especially noticeable when I'm watching Flash videos, because I often feel like I need to stop and restart the video with hopes of watching it smoothly, but it continues to be choppy, and even scrolling up and down while browsing the Internet gets troublesome.

I've already disabled Pepper Flash and a few other Chrome plugins that I'm not using, and the only extension I'm using for Chrome is AdBlock Plus.  I've also installed an older Flash player on the computer, but that didn't help.  I've run Spybot Search and Destroy and removed what came up.  I've used CCleaner a few times as well, and I've updated and run Malwarebytes again, but nothing has come up.  Could all of this be a product of age, or can something be fixed?  I've already decided that I want to get a new laptop soon, but barring an out-and-out emergency, I'd like to wait just a little longer before I make that move.

I would agree with Louis, If your harddrive is very close to full it will make your Laptop CPU and ram work ten times harder and in turn it takes twice as long to load applications and possible services that are attached to those applications.

If you play videogames and have a lot of them I would recommend buying a external usb harddrive. (I don't mean a thumb drive or usb stick) To store and run your games and CPU and ram entensive applications from that harddrive and also in doing that you will also extend you laptop harddrive, I have desktop computer with round about 500+ GB space I also purchased a 2 Terabyte usb harddrive which extends my harddrive space to 2,500 GB a Terabyte is 1000 GB and usb harddrives with 2 terabytes can be or are exspensive but a usb harddrive of 500 GB or if you can get one 250 GB should work quite well to start of with.

Here is also a few ideas to help clean out your laptop 1. disk cleanup, you will find that in the start button menu then go to all programs then you want to go to accessories then to system tools and there you should find disk cleanup this is similar to CCleaner.

2. uninstall software that you don't use anymore or have not used in a long time or if you still wish to use that software you can install it on the external usb harddrive if you choose to buy one.

If this is your computer http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/dell-inspiron-e1505.aspx

If that is your laptop it's says the most amount of ram you can upgrade is up to 2 GB

The ram as far as I know is similar to when you go to the store to buy bread but you just use your memory without writing on paper to remember and after buying the bread your memory wipes the task of remembering to buy bread and in turn allows you to perform other and or more tasks, If you can remember more tasks this will help your cpu or your brain a lot more and therefore you will be able to do more tasks in a more timely fashion.

3. here is another program that does a varity of tasks that helps your laptop, it's free.

ToolWiz Care

http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-care/

Edited by Wolf2674, 28 August 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

3. here is another program that does a varity of tasks that helps your laptop, it's free.

ToolWiz Care

IMO...it's highly unlikely that adding any fluffware such as a "system optimizer" will have any positive effect on a system struggling for resource utilization.

Any application promises to do something positive for your system...without specifically telling you what it is that it does...is something that I would stay away from.

IMO...just another app for unknowing users, akin to Tuneup Utilities, System Care, etc.

For the record...Bleeping Computer does not suggest anyone use "registry cleaners/optimizers".

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Louis

#5 Guest_Wolf2674_*

Guest_Wolf2674_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

ToolWiz Care

IMO...it's highly unlikely that adding any fluffware such as a "system optimizer" will have any positive effect on a system struggling for resource utilization.

Any application promises to do something positive for your system...without specifically telling you what it is that it does...is something that I would stay away from.

IMO...just another app for unknowing users, akin to Tuneup Utilities, System Care, etc.

For the record...Bleeping Computer does not suggest anyone use "registry cleaners/optimizers".

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Louis

@ Louis, first off have you even been to that website that I suggested it is safe to visit and two I use it all the time and does indeed help take stress off the computer hardware such as cpu and ram because it tells you for one what services are starting when the computer starts and how long it takes for those processes to start, it also tells you overall how long it took for the system to start from pushing the on button to being at the desktop so it gives you a idea of what to get rid of in terms of software and or unecessary processes and start up's which in turn helps speed up computer and gives back some of the resources that the heavy entensive applications and or unnecessary processes, start ups were using in the first place this program does much more than just registry clean.

@KGthakid

if all the processes in the taskmanager are consistently high for example 30,000+ K then it maybe a sign of a virus or a bug, So in saying that if that is the case you need to check for Malware and bugs that could be the issue but you need a better security software than malwarebytes perhaps trend micro, comodo internet security or Norton 360.

Comodo internet security is free and you get most of the features you get in most paid for anti-virus programs such as trend micro or norton 360 or even bit defender

or

if all else fails it might just be that you computer is has become out of date that much that can no longer keep up with the softwares that are coming out but also with that little amount of ram that could be causing a problem as well as you might be over extending the computers ability to multi task plus the fact your harddrive is full to the brim does not help ether.

@  IMO I disagree Louis also.

http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

the one called advanced system care pro can be used as a free version the difference in the free version some of the features are disable. but the rest of it works just fine.

well that says other wise and yes the one I use is not here but I have Norton 360 and Norton has told me Toolwizcare is perfectly normal and safe to use.

Just to add a little more advance system care and toolwiz care knows what is what when it comes to the registry and they do not modify it in way so the computer is unable to function properly but instead finds errors and fixes them I have used both of those softwares and not contracted viruses from the software them selves or the websites and both of them have indeed help me free up computer resources to help speed up my computer.

Edited by Wolf2674, 28 August 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

if all the processes in the taskmanager are consistently high for example 30,000+ K then it maybe a sign of a virus or a bug, So in saying that if that is the case you need to check for Malware and bugs that could be the issue but you need a better security software than malwarebytes perhaps trend micro, comodo internet security or Norton 360.

Comodo internet security is free and you get most of the features you get in most paid for anti-virus programs such as trend micro or norton 360 or even bit defender

You are assuming that KGthaKid does NOT have other security.

I will point out the obvious. Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus product and does not take the place of an antivirus program.

Malwarebytes is used in conjunction with an antivirus to provide an extra layer in the war on malware.

KGthaKid

If you like whatever security program(s) (AV and firewall) you currently have keep it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 September 2013 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users