Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logon screen/Password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Caston

Caston

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hello

I recently acquired a USED computer. Windows 7

Having turned it on, I see a LOGON screen requiring a PASSWORD.

Can someone please let me know how to gain access to the Desktop?.

Once that is done I will need to set my own Password.

Kindly advise a detailed procedure to enable me to do so.

Many thanks

Caston   :thumbsup:

Edited by Caston, 27 August 2013 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Problem here is you are basically asking for a method to hack the password and as we can't garuntee ownership through the internet, that is ethically questionable on our part, so typically it is not done.

That being said, if you can provide the make and model, it may have a recovery partition.  If so, you can run that which will reset the system back to the way it was from factory out of the box.  From there, you can get into and make it your own from there.  Just know that any programs and files would need to be backed up prior to that as everything will be deleted in the process of the reset.

Once you provide the make and model, we can work to get you a more detailed step by step to do that reset.

#3 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Understood. I had not taken that into account. A very longstanding friend gave it to me.

It is a HP XW4400X/E2

Caston

#4 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Is it possible to ask your friend for the password to get in and then reset it once in?  If not, is there anything on there file wise (documents, video, music, etc.) or program wise that you need and don't have a backup of that would be effected with a reset?

#5 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

It is from within a family with which I have been associated for decades. My friend is loosely associated with it and would not have the Password, if so, he would either have given it to me, or dealt with it himself.

I will try the info Sunner has so helpfully sent me.

Many thanks allround.  Will let you know the outcome later.

Caston

#6 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

I understand there is still ways to do it.  I have a program I have used for years for things like this.  There are several that are free that work great.  The point is that on an open forum like this it is typically against the rules to post links or how-tos on how to do that because we can't verify the legality of your system.  Not trying to say it wasn't purchased or anything, just that we can't know truly one way or the other through the internet.

Additionally, I would still recommend doing a reset whenever buying a unit second hand.  You never know what the previous owner was doing with it and it is a good practice to reset and reimage it to avoid potential malware, cracked illegal software, illegal downloads, etc. that are not your responsibility as possession is 9/10ths of the law as they say.  I have seen numerous times people who buy one and continue using it and a year or two later get into a log battle with court because they were using illegal software without knowing it for over a year.  I have also seen people have their identity stolen because the laptop had malware that stole passwords when they started using it for online banking or similar stuff which caused a log headache of a process to fix.

Long story short, it is just usually a good idea, in my opinion, to do the reset.  Why not make it your own from the "beginning"?

Edited by BKSeoul, 28 August 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well...I've seen this too late to effectively comment...but...generally, suggesting a particular paid program to perform something that where many free tools are available...is often construed as spamming.

The guidelines here at BC for trying to assist members with password situations can be summarized in the following statement (courtesy of Quietman7):

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.
Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:

Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:

Password Recovery Tools:

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2013 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users