Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word of caution when upgrading cpu cooler

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rob300exc

rob300exc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just wanted to give a heads up that may save some time and major frustration I am doing a new build with all new components and could not even get a post on initial power up all I would get was a constant short beeping code checked everything tried everything even returned the mb and after installing second mb still had same problem and was about to give up and decided to remove the cooler master hyper 212 cooler and when I removed the backing plate I discovered that the insulating tape was missing from one of the mounting feet of the backing plate and causing the mb to short out I installed the intel cooler that comes with the cpu and I can't even begin to tell you how good it felt to hear that stupid little magical post beep it is so frustrating to think of all the time I spent and stress I went through all because a little piece of tape was missing from a brand new product this was the first one of these coolers I've ever installed so I didn't know that it wasn't right so save yourself a lot of hassle and make sure all four mounting feet are insulated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

That's almost as bad as having a MB short out due to non needed riser clips shorting out the back side of the board.

#3 mikeroq

mikeroq

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

When you have an issue with a board not posting, it is a good idea to pull it out of the case and check it out. You might find an issue with a stand off, or in your case a heatsink bracket. My issues are frustrating though, won't post, take it out of the case, now posts, put it back, still posts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users