Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New video card + SP1 = blue screen and no safe mode. Multiple problems!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Need some serious help. Installed new video card night before last, wouldn't work. Tried installing (vista 32bit) SP1. When I went to restart it made to section 3 of 3 and then I got the blue screen warning : Driver Unloaded Without Canceling Pending Operations.
Tried to do system restore to before windows update..... Stalls on "finalizing system restore"....it just goes on forever.

Can't start in safe mode, just freezes on "please wait".

THEN, husband came home and took out new video card and put old one back, causing a !! 0xc01a001d !!
(This showed up on a black screen with one line of flickering white text, it scanned through a bunch of numbers , finally freezing and then showed this error code)

I will answer questions the best I can. I'm not very computer literate and only have my iPod for communication/posting right now.
Thanks so much
Linda

Edited by Famograham, 27 August 2013 - 02:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

System manufacturer and model?

I guess that I'm wondering...why try to install SP1?  SP2 is the most current SP for Vista and there are additional critical updates after that.

Why the attempted video card change?

Your error message is related to a botched effort to install Vista SP1, see http://andersoncubed.com/?p=81 .

Louis

#3 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Acer- AM5620-E1204A
Q-6600 intel core 2 quad processor.

The only update presented by windows update was SP1, there was no SP2 that we had been aware of.

Husband wanted a new video card because the old one (BFG) was causing a lot of lag in his games... We think because of temperature, possibly. So we decided to upgrade.
Recently (about a month ago) put in a new power supply, so it shouldn't be that, I don't think.

#4 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the link, Louis.
So many things I've read come to the conclusion that vista needed to be reinstalled.
When we bought this computer, vista was Pre installed and there's no disk.
If worst comes to worst.... How on earth do we reinstall it with no disk.
And will our D drive be safe? We have about 6 years of family photos in D drive!

Ideally , we really can't afford this, and need to fix the computer if at ALL possible.
So frustrating!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

If You Wish To Make A Vista Startup Repair Disk , scroll down that section, please.

I'd try the startup repair :).

Louis

#6 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/141820-create-recovery-disc.html

Is that the right one, Louis?

#7 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

It assumes that the user has access to the computer and can place files, which we don't :(

#8 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Also, is a startup repair disk the same as a system recovery disk?

#9 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Ok, husband came home and took out new video card. Put old one back in
Managed to get it to safe mode screen, but safe mode stil stalled at the same driver (crcdisk, I think). Restarted and startup repair appeared. Decided to run it and it is scanning now. Previous times, it ended very quickly and said that it could not repair. This time it's running for a good long time.
Is there more hope now?

#10 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Is there a busier forum to try? We really need help.

#11 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Finally got into safe mode, system restore is running, but again, is stuck at at "finalizing file restore"

I need some very specific instructions on what to do next....

#12 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

Typing out the PROBLEM SIGNATURE, given after startup repair failed.

Problem event name: StartupRepairV2
Problem signature 01:AutoFailover
02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
03: 6
04: 917518
05: BadDriver
06: BadDriver
07: 0
08: 3
09: WrpRepair
10: 10
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

I think that you need to understand a few things :).

The volunteers serving BC...are necessarily available 24/7.  Personal commitments, the need for rest/sleep, etc...all those things determine who is online at any given point in time.

When you post a computer problem and provide little data that can be used to diagnose the problem...and the persons trying to assist you don't have the ability to see/touch the system...you need to understand that there are very few computer situations that are so simple that a generalized answer or "fix" can be handed out in the same manner as you would pick up an order at a fast-food place.

If you have run Windows System Restore and that has not resolved your problem...there's a good chance (IMO) that the issue is not what you seem to think that it is.  If the issue was simply a video card and/or drivers...SR should have been able to nullify that.

The manufacturer of your system...has installed a restore-to-factory-defaults as the answer to user problems.  You may want to try that.  If so, see http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/acer-restore-267873.html .  Additional links on such can be found at Various Google Links .

If the system was mine...the first step I would take would be to ensure that hard drive problems are not at the root of my plight.  I would do this by downloading/running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic tool...from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Louis

#14 Guest_Famograham_*

Guest_Famograham_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thank you Louis.
I'm really sorry. I didn't realize that people were assigned. My thinking was that maybe there was a night owl on at the time. I would never expect anyone to give up personal time. I'm just scared of losing our system. I'm truly sorry.

"If the system was mine...the first step I would take would be to ensure that hard drive problems are not at the root of my plight. I would do this by downloading/running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic tool...from the website of the hard drive manufacturer."

In reference to this paragraph, how do I know what he appropriate diagnostic tool is, and how do I download something from a computer that's broken? Can I get online with safe mode or something?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Just a clarification...no one is "assigned", whatever that might mean.

This is a worldwide forum...varying time zones...with members contributing their help when time and opportunity permit.  Therefore, there is no way to assume that, at any given minute of the day, someone will be online who has something to suggest for a given topic.  Even if every member happens to be online at the same instant...there is no guarantee that anyone has any new suggestions/advice for a given situation.

Since you are online now...you can download whatever it is that you need...and burn it to CD/DVD or put it on a flash drive...to get it onto your system.  The hard drive diagnostic does not have to be installed in Windows...it runs from CD/DVD.

The one piece of information required...is to know who is the manufacturer of the hard drive.  That can easily be ascertained...by simply...visibly taking a look at the hard drive or booting into Windows, going to Device Manager...and double-clicking Disk Drives and viewing the detail.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users