Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is considered the best wireless card ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JenMorg13

JenMorg13

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

My wireless card on the computer I just bought is:

Built-in Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 LAN (802.11b/g/n)

Is this considered a  good one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

You have to look at reviews and such, for the most part a wireless N card is a wireless N card, but depending on what you need the antenna's may be better, or it may have the capability of 2.4GHz and 5GHz for faster speeds with many different users.

Either way that looks like a built in card for a laptop so there is very little to no chance of changing it out. You should be more than happy with it, just keep the drivers up to date and it should be great.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

First, yes it is a good card.  Wireless and Bluetooth combo.  I have a similar Intel WIFI/Bluetooth combo in my lappy.

Changing it out is not advised.  Not so much because it is hard to do, but a lot of manufacturers "BIOS whitelist" their wireless cards.  If you have an HP, or a Dell, it won't even boot up unless the wireless card is on the approved list in the BIOS.  Been through this on an older HP, and it was a learning experience I will not forget. 

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

There is an easy work around for changing wireless adapter with a laptop. Just simply disable the built in one and use an USB type instead. They are available in USB2.0 (most common) and also now USB3.0 (if you have USB3.0 port).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010074%20600014288&IsNodeId=1&name=USB%202.0

There's hundreds to choose from (can be quite overwhelming). Personally, I've had nothing but trouble out of Netgear products and will never buy any again. Belkin has always been #1 on my list of wireless devices to buy. As of lately I've tried a few Linksys and currently using a Cisco Valet Connector AM10. They seem to be very nice and well designed, but do also have some flaws.

I would suggest anything that is dual band especially if you connect to a dual band router. Much less interference or connection issues if you can connect on 5.0GHz instead of 2.4GHz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users