Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUPERantispyware

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Not exactly a tip or trick, but to put forward a scanner - SUPERantispyware - a standalone program that I found and tried as a result of it being mentioned in one of the BC threads.

See this link.

Downloading went easy onto my desktop. I tried it and found the program superbly suitable for my needs. It is very well constructed, attractive and seems efficient, Scans are selective and do not take too long. I like it very much and now use it regularly instead of AVG2013,  Emsisoft AM and MBAM.  I am very impressed.

The only infection it found was a tracking cookie by Google accounts - I marked this as trusted for safety. I trust Google implicitly, regardless of popular gossip to the contrary.

Just select the free edition and enjoy.

Edited by yabbadoo, 27 August 2013 - 09:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JenMorg13

JenMorg13

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I just downloaded this as an on-demand scanner.  It found 320 adware tracking cookie threats and deleted them.  I am not sure how malewarebytes and my real-time protection Symantec endpoint protection (on this laptop) failed to find and delete the tracking cookies. I don't know...maybe haveing 320 tracking cookies are not a big deal..."shrugs"

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

I just downloaded this as an on-demand scanner.  It found 320 adware tracking cookie threats and deleted them.  I am not sure how malewarebytes and my real-time protection Symantec endpoint protection (on this laptop) failed to find and delete the tracking cookies. I don't know...maybe haveing 320 tracking cookies are not a big deal..."shrugs"

Sounds good. I cannot remember the thread where the guy spoke highly of SAS, but he said that it found a virus that had been bugging him that MBAM and other programs had completely missed. The SAS slogan is "Remove spyware - not just the easy ones" and it seems to live up to it.

I have done 3 scans of my complete PC taking about 45 minutes and they all came up clean. You know what ? I trust this program more than the other  highly popular programs I have.

I have only had it for a few days, but it seems very thorough, well designed and I am impressed. It has taken over from the other  programs to be currently my favourite ad-lib scanner. Time will tell, but it looks an excellent bet indeed and has that "deadly, take no prisoners" look about it.

If I could remember that guy, I  would PM him and thank him for bringing this program to my notice. Until then, I had never heard about it.

Tracking cookies are not exactly the kiss of death, but they do what it says - they track your activity and should NOT be tolerated. I find it personally insulting for anybody to have the audacity to snoop on my web activity.

Edited by yabbadoo, 27 August 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

Tracking cookies do no harm really, it's not worth the time scanning for them really. If they bother you then turn cookies off (see here: http://www.guoman.com/group/cookies/howtoturnoff.html). Malwarebytes and other security programs do not bother with cookies because it's simply not worth it (the effort needed to scan is more than the gain you get from removing these cookies which do nothing to harm you).

As for malware removal SAS doesn't have a great detection rate (have a look at some virustotal reports of malware, and you'll see what I mean) - it can be useful (don't get me wrong), but SAS normally only detects tracking cookies and MBAM is generally considered a better program in many people's opinions. It was a bit more useful a few years ago.

I do like SAS, but you never see it being used by the malware professionals, whereas MBAM is. This is not because MBAM is more popular, but because of the reasons I have already listed. Not trying to put you off, but offering another point to consider. If you like SAS and want to use it - good, I would say keep it as an on-demand scanner. One program will never detect everything, and so you really need to run one anti-virus (not running one is not a good thing, even with a sandbox or anti-malware/spyware programs) and at least one anti-malware/spyware.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

@ Toffee

Good  comment.

I use MBAM, Emsisoft AM and AVG 2013 as sweepers, with AVG 2013 as my chosen real time AV program. All of these are market leaders and scans with each one have been clean. So SAS is not yet relegated to the poor mans scanner and it HAS the capability to pick up serious infections just like the others. Popularity is not always a criterion of quality and superiority by a long chalk.

I have tried most of the mainstream programs in my time and not found a golden egg amongst the lot of them. My interest and observance of comparative professional reports on various programs, extends to the restricted credence I give to daily newspaper reports.

In my long engineering career I have taken an active part in many product comparative testing programs. On occasions there is a choice between two questions at the very start dependent on the test objective, 1. Which product should come bottom ? or 2. Which product should  come top ? 

I will press on and see how SAS functions. As I have already said it is  stylish, well designed and appears to be very efficient.  We shall see.

By the way, I have already defined the matter of tracking  cookies quite clearly and if anybody feels they are unimportant and accepts that some Nosey-Parker watches everything you do on the web, then have a nice day. Not to my liking or that of every AV scanning program I know where you can select to ban tracking cookies in the configuration and settings or delete them on closure.

Whatever the case, tracking cookies are bad news.

Just a small deviation from the perfection image of those so called "professional" AV favourites. I personally have had many  experiences of these perfect programs failing to locate an infection and coming up with false positives. So have hundreds of other users on the web,  it appears that I am not alone.

Until SAS has proven to be a really 1st Class program, my initial conclusion is that its only crime is that it is not publicised like our regular well known AV`s. Having said that, according to the website 30 million users have found out about it and given it a swing. Wherever has it been all my life ?

Edited by yabbadoo, 27 August 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

I'm not sure if this is still the case but I haven't heard or read to the contrary.

When performing a complete system scan, SAS does a better job of detection in safe mode than in normal mode. This might be one reason why it isn't recommended as often as MBAM.

On the other hand, MBAM does a better job of detection in normal mode than in safe mode.

Nothing wrong with using both as on demand scanners, never know what one will miss that the other will pick up. When it comes to the paid versions of either, think MBAM is a much better choice.

As for cookies, set the web browser to keep or delete cookies on a per site basis when it exits. CCleaner allows you to easily choose what cookies to keep and delete too. But, stay away from CCleaner's registry scan feature.

Edited by FlannelBack, 28 August 2013 - 03:57 AM.

#7 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

So SAS is not yet relegated to the poor mans scanner and it HAS the capability to pick up serious infections just like the others. Popularity is not always a criterion of quality and superiority by a long chalk.

Never said it didn't, but the detection rate is lower than most of the other security programs. I believe SAS is better at detecting PUPs and spywares rather than bigger infections (although I believe it has the capability to deal with rootkits and those bigger threats, not sure on how well it does since even MBAM and most AV have trouble on some of these). 

Oh, certainly not. Of the three biggest AV companies (McAfee, Norton and AVG), I would not recommend their programs to an average user even if I was being paid. They all can and have had big problems with false positives and not playing well with systems (McAfee mostly, AVG and Norton less but it still happens), and so I would recommend a less well known AV instead.

By the way, I have already defined the matter of tracking  cookies quite clearly and if anybody feels they are unimportant and accepts that some Nosey-Parker watches everything you do on the web, then have a nice day. Not to my liking or that of every AV scanning program I know where you can select to ban tracking cookies in the configuration and settings or delete them on closure.

The only problem is that is very hard to not be tracked online these days. Even some AV collect information about you and what you do on your computer. They are not dangerous though, that is the big difference on why I say not to bother scanning for them (just set your settings to delete them or not allow them). Do I care that somebody watches me browse BleepingComputer and Youtube all day? - Not really, I'm rather boring :P

Just a small deviation from the perfection image of those so called "professional" AV favourites. I personally have had many  experiences of these perfect programs failing to locate an infection and coming up with false positives. So have hundreds of other users on the web,  it appears that I am not alone.

Until SAS has proven to be a really 1st Class program, my initial conclusion is that its only crime is that it is not publicised like our regular well known AV`s. Having said that, according to the website 30 million users have found out about it and given it a swing. Wherever has it been all my life ?

No program is perfect, and will detect everything. That's common to every program which relies on heuristics, which is pretty much every security program ever created (AV, AM, AS, e.c.t). 

SAS is pretty well known actually, as you can see by the 30 millions users, you just have to look around a bit to find it :wink: (Grinler does recommend it, and there is a guide from about 4 years back which shows how to use SAS to remove infections). It's a good program to keep on hand in any case.

----------

FlannelBack:

When performing a complete system scan, SAS does a better job of detection in safe mode than in normal mode. This might be one reason why it isn't recommended as often as MBAM.

That's interesting, I've never heard of that before, but it's certainly possible. 

Nothing wrong with using both as on demand scanners, never know what one will miss that the other will pick up. When it comes to the paid versions of either, think MBAM is a much better choice.

As for cookies, set the web browser to keep or delete cookies on a per site basis when it exits. CCleaner allows you to easily choose what cookies to keep and delete too. But, stay away from CCleaner's registry scan feature.

+1, I completely agree with you on all points.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#8 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thank you all for your honest  and constructive comments.

You say SAS is well known and the 30 Million users confirm this ? Well I had never heard of SAS until this guy on BC claimed it was the only program in the entire Universe that found his virus and killed it.

So 30 Million users may have known about SAS, but poor old Yabba did not.  Too busy doing the chores in my Stonehenge  apartment and seeing that my pet T-Rex doesn't get out of the back garden and go on the rampage. But I am sure  glad I found it.

Edited by yabbadoo, 28 August 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#9 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Well, yes, you do have to search for it and it's not as recommended as most. Noknojon uses it quite a lot if you have ever seen his posts.

No problem, I'm glad to have been of help. Despite what you may think, I do like SAS as a program and even sometimes use it on my computer.

Also might want to fix the fence so that the T-Rex doesn't escape quite as much...

xXToffeeXx~

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

@ Toffee

Lovely comment.

You must be joking, a fence ain't no good for a T-Rex, he'd go  right through it. I have those big stones you see around my place as a "fence" and he still finds a hole.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

In SAS settings I disable cookie scanning. I manage my own cookies thank you very much. Cookies are not a bad thing. They however like many things can be used for undesirable purposes. For the less experienced user it's probably not a bad thing to scan and delete cookies.

But cookies can be useful for taking you back to a web page right where you left off. Or keep track of the articles you have already read in your news feed. Or show what emails you have opened in some webmail applications. This is why I manage my own cookies and whitelist them in my browsers and exclude scanning cookies with SAS. I delete cookies myself with each browser independently. Many cookies I want left alone to do their job and help me remember where I was on the web.

I don't want a malware scanner taking issue with something it has no clue of, regarding my web habits.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 JenMorg13

JenMorg13

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

In SAS settings I disable cookie scanning. I manage my own cookies thank you very much. Cookies are not a bad thing. They however like many things can be used for undesirable purposes. For the less experienced user it's probably not a bad thing to scan and delete cookies.

But cookies can be useful for taking you back to a web page right where you left off. Or keep track of the articles you have already read in your news feed. Or show what emails you have opened in some webmail applications. This is why I manage my own cookies and whitelist them in my browsers and exclude scanning cookies with SAS. I delete cookies myself with each browser independently. Many cookies I want left alone to do their job and help me remember where I was on the web.

I don't want a malware scanner taking issue with something it has no clue of, regarding my web habits.

This will probably make me look stupid :) but how do you choose which cookies to delete. say one for a amazon checkout or something of the like.

Thanks,

Jennifer

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

You look at the URL's in your browsers cookie manager. Match it up to the page that you need to keep. Then don't delete those.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 JenMorg13

JenMorg13

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Nice!! Thanks

#15 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

SAS is not some exclusive cookie crunching program, it is an undermined AV/AM program that can rub shoulders with the best of them.

The world of cookies is the lifeblood of the Internet - no cookies - no Internet.

Nobody in their right mind fumbles through the mass of cookies after each session to do a kill or keep operation and no AV/AM program  selects out innocent cookies as threats. But ALL AV/AM programs select out tracking cookies as threats and of course they are. Tracking cookies are an intrusion on privacy and nobody knows what the recipient does with the data they spy upon.

Standard procedure is to select those cookies that are considered important and KEEP them via your browser or AV/AM program so they are not  deleted. This is dead easy, by simply looking at your cookies and eyeballing them onto a KEEP list. I have about 20, mostly Google and other personal choices. If you do not KEEP any cookies at all, then it does not matter a fig. It is simply a nice thing to do.

I do not allow third party  cookies, but allow all sessional cookies. On browser closure ALL non-kept cookies are automatically deleted and we start again with an empty box.

SAS does not select innocent cookies, but it does select tracking cookies as threats like all other AV`s and rightly so.

So PLEASE let us not convert this thread emphasising the attractive qualities of SAS into a blockbuster on cookies and concentrate on the merits of the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users