Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD Security

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phntm

phntm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I need to lock up all of my external hard drives for several years, and was wondering what is the BEST external hard drive password protection/lock software? I want to make sure barely NO one can get into them, but that they will be accessible once I use them again. I really need help with this.

Edited by phntm, 27 August 2013 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi, Are You saying No-one including yourself will need access to them?

In that case I would get a Safe Deposit Box and let them be locked into the banks vault until needed.

A safe deposit box is also the best off site location for data backups in my opinion.

Other than that You can encrypt them using special software. keeping in mind that if You forget the password you won't be able to access the contents either.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for your response.

No, I still wish to access them some day. I'd go with a safe deposit box, but I don't know how long i'll be gone, I don't want the wrong hands getting it, and it would probably costs money and I won't be around to pay for it. I just need to password protect my externals, with software that is good.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

I can not recommend any software not having used any like that.

However I will offer this warning. Just because the data is protected against being accessed does not mean it is protected against someone formatting the drive so they can use it to store their files.

I did have one thought, Instead of a Safe Deposit box, Why not go buy a small safe and some bubble wrap? Wrap the drives just in case. Then put them in the safe.

Something such as a safe from here for example http://www.staples.com/Security-Fire-Water-Safes/cat_CL158854#sby=%271%27&viewDetails=%27listView%27

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thanks, I use to have a peice of software that did it but I don't remember it's name. It was a flash drive security tool called Lock some thing, I think, wish I could remember. Anyway, I will be putting them in a safe, but some one else will have the key because there is no where else for me to place the keys for several years. Thanks for the bubble wrap idea though, that won't damage the drives? I like that idea!

Anyways, I just need software to lock them up, I have google'd but I really wanted to see if some one could recommend some thing solid and good.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

I've used Truecrypt before. Nice open source software. Highly recommended.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Just a random thought. You say you'll be 'storing' these drives for several years. Having them encrypted is a noble idea. But will you remember the password/passphrase after such a length of time? If not, then your encrypted drives won't even be accessible to you when you take possession again.

You might also want to have a plan for gaining access after the fact.

Don't forget to also add desiccant in what ever storage container the drives will be in, to minimize moisture damage being stored that long.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:50 AM

I can also reccomend Truecrypt as a very secure program to use. Unless something has changed in the past year no one has ever cracked a properly encrypted Truecrypt drive ( or written about doing so). That being said if you ever forget your password that data will be lost forever. Read the Wiki before using it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users