Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Loss 3TB Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 12padams

12padams

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

I won't go into much detail below but if you need more information feel free to ask me for more details.

So a few months ago I bought a third internal hard drive for my Lenovo Thinkstation S20 computer. It's my biggest yet at 3TB. When I stuck it into my computer and tried formatting it under windows 7 however it acted as though the drive was about 700 gig rather than about 2.7 terabytes. I then decided to boot into Ubuntu and use GParted to format the disk. Instantly it said something along the lines of detecting the end point of the drive being in the wrong place making other operating systems think the drive is smaller than it really is. It said click here to fix the problem so I did then formatted with the ntfs filesystem (since I would use it with windows rather than Linux) thinking everything was solved...

I booted back into windows 7 and it said the drive was 2.7 terabytes. So I started putting all my stuff on it and using it like normal. As the drive got filled up with all my stuff however I started to notice issues. I'm a fan of Sony Vegas Pro and use it to do all my editing for my youtube videos on my OSFirstTimer youtube account. I never really had a problem with Sony vegas when editing the videos on my c: and d: drives except for rare crashes but now that I edit them on the 3tb G: drive... wow it's a nightmare.

I keep a backup of all the raw footage because it all gets corrupted within an hour. Literally vid5 is corrupted then vid8 then vid2 and so on. After importing them to Sony vegas and editing for a while it suddenly says that the file is corrupted. I can't even open the raw footage with media player or in other video editing software so I have to keep exporting the videos. I originally thought Sony vegas was the problem but now I'm thinking its the harddrive. This becomes highly apparent when rending a final video. The chances of it getting corrupt while I render the final video (with the raw footage on the g drive) to the g drive is 99% while the chances of it corrupting when I render to the D drive is only 10-20%. Also the images I'm using in Sony vegas are getting corrupted but the videos (especially large ones) get corrupted so much more often. Also 2 videos files not associated with Sony vegas Randomly got corrupt recently that were stored on the g drive. I'm not sure if anything else has gotten corrupted on it though...

A good point to note at this point is that every time I open GParted on Ubuntu its constantly giving me that warning about the g drive where the end point is not in the right place. It's also saying that that the drive is all unallocated with 2.7 terabytes of unallocated space and no partitions. With all those warnings from Ubuntu I decided to do a check on windows 7 with the disk check program and ticked the boxes to fix filesystem problems and recover bad clusters or whatever automatically. After doing this it said it detected and fixed problems so I checked the drive capacity on windows 7 and it is now saying that I only have 52 gig of space left on the drive out of 2.7 terabytes when before "fixing the problems" I had well over a terabyte of free space left.

The scariest thing is that when I open the g drive, highlight everything and select properties to find out how much space everything is taking it says the files and folders total 1.14 terabytes. This is impossible because the drive says I only have 52 gig left out of 2.7 terabytes. I haven't even gone back to Ubuntu to see what it says about the drive in case I lose everything...

What should I do? I need my space and having only 1.15 terabytes available to use on a 3 terabyte drive is unacceptable. I'm very worried about doing any more fixes incase I lose more data... I've got the most important stuff backed up but it would be a big hassle to lose all the other stuff... I'm lost, could I get some advice?

Edited by 12padams, 27 August 2013 - 07:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

google mbr vs. gpt for answer

#3 12padams

12padams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

google mbr vs. gpt for answer

I'm fully aware of gpt and already had originally formatted the drive that way. So yes the drive is gpt but I'm not getting the full drive capacity. I'm wondering whether I should boot unit Ubuntu and move the end point of the drive again or will that cause more problems?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm unsure why You are having this Problem, Is Your Windows 7 Up to date as far as service packs and updates?

Over a  year ago I played with a External 3Tb drive on Windows XP. I killed the drive back to unused and and split it under XP into two 1.5Tb partitions and it seemed as if it worked. I have used the same 3Tb drives as I had bought several under windows 7 using GPT and have no problems.

Just to be sure the foundation is OK have You run the makers diagnostics on the drive? I think the first step is to be sure the hardware is OK. It is also possible that the motherboard can not handle that drive. How old is Your Thinkstation?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 12padams

12padams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm unsure why You are having this Problem, Is Your Windows 7 Up to date as far as service packs and updates?

Over a  year ago I played with a External 3Tb drive on Windows XP. I killed the drive back to unused and and split it under XP into two 1.5Tb partitions and it seemed as if it worked. I have used the same 3Tb drives as I had bought several under windows 7 using GPT and have no problems.

Just to be sure the foundation is OK have You run the makers diagnostics on the drive? I think the first step is to be sure the hardware is OK. It is also possible that the motherboard can not handle that drive. How old is Your Thinkstation?

Good Luck

Roger

My thinkstation is only 3 years old. It cost $6700 without tax and $7300 with tax. Its got 12 gigs of ram and a powerful xeon processor.

Will cutting that big partition into two smaller partitions fix the issue? Or could that lead to data loss?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

It would certainly cause the loss of any data on the drive currently.

It could work, or it may not. Have you run diagnostics on the drive? I would also run the Diagnostics Lenovo provides. PC Doctor?

Does Any Video get corrupted on other drives? I'm trying to eliminate if it is the software You are using or?

I am also wondering if it could be a controller problem. You said Your Thinkstation is three years old, From My research March 2011 - Seagate announced the first standalone version of its 3TB HDD that can be used with their desktop computers. Western Digital announced the first 3 TB internal hard disk drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hard_disk_drives

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 12padams

12padams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

On another forum I got the response:

"This sounds like classic BIOS limitation. I've had experiences where if the BIOS didn't support a drive over a certain size, once you wrote data past that boundary, another part of the drive starts getting overwritten. So every time you write something beyond 2.2TB, or whatever your BIOS limitation is, you're overwriting existing data, and corrupting it.

Don't repartition, reformat, etc. Remove the drive from the system now to prevent further data loss, and either update the BIOS or put it into a USB3/Firewire external enclosure that supports drives that large."

Do you know how to update the bios?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hi, You have to follow the Specific manufacturers method to update the BIOS. They are not all the same nor is there one generic method.

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful using this advice as it can damage your computer.

A Bad flash or a flash with the wrong BIOS such as one for a different model can Kill the computer and lead to a expensive repair

Go to this page http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/

Select "Drivers & Software"

Choose "Workstations" Or use the Quickpath

Note that You will need Your machine Type at this point so Find it and have it handy. I suspect it will be on the front on a small label.

Just as an Example I chose a "Thinkstation S30 (4352)" You need to use Your information.

Then You should see a page Called "Drivers and Software"

Choose BIOS

Click where it says "[+] Click for files"

Then You will see a set of BIOS files with various installation methods and Instructions on how to flash the BIOS.

Useful information!
See my next post for part 2.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 September 2013 - 09:00 AM.
Additional Content & Clarity

167 @ June 2015

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi, Part 2

If You do not feel comfortable Flashing the BIOS then there are a couple of options

1. DO Nothing and use a 2Tb drive

2. Use an external drive case that supports that size drive. USB3 preferred

3. Add a USB3 Card to support the USB3 case

4. Pay to have someone flash the computer.

for option 4. I suggest using a Lenovo ASP. ASP is short for Authorized Service Provider.

You can Locate a Lenovo ASP on this Page.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/service-provider/default.page?countryid=17

I entered ZIP code 08817 as a sample, Not mine BTW.

I came up with 8 within a 20 mile area.

Understand that ASPs are independents and not owned by Lenovo

If you don't get good vibes from one use a different one where you feel comfortable.

Just as a Point of information Toshiba uses the same system, Dell runs their own when I last checked.

What brands do I use, I'm on a Lenovo right now, I own a Toshiba Laptop too and a cheap Acer that gets used twice a month for one purpose only.

Please Heed the warning I have seen it happen to people. They bring in the dead computer and inquiry leads to the fact that they were trying to flash it.

I have flashed many Toshiba laptops and a few All In Ones in the past with no problems, It was a required step in the warranty repair.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users